Tempstar Heat Pump Reviews - Consumer Ratings | Select Features
- Tempstar heat pump units use R-410A refrigerant
- Select units have ECM variable speed condenser fan motors for quieter operation
- 5-stage variable speed compressor operation on select units
- Dual fuel capable with a compatible gas furnace and thermostat
- Selected Tempstar heat pump units have two-stage compressors for better energy efficiency
- Wi-Fi® remote access available for select units
- Diagnostic features on the control board for easier heat pump troubleshooting
- Higher SEER/HSPF models need to be matched with a Tempstar air handler to achieve the rated efficiency levels noted on the equipment.
- 10 Year warranty on the condenser coil for selected Tempstar heat pump units
- 10-Year No Hassle Replacement™ Limited Warranty
- Tempstar Warranties as Compared to Other Brands 90% 90%
- Tempstar Quality as Compared to Other Brands 90% 90%
- Consumer Opinion based on Field Experience 81% 81%
- Tempstar Efficiency Compared to Other Brands 88% 88%
- Overall Tempstar Opinion from a Technical Perspective 91% 91%
Tempstar Heat Pump Top SEER Rating
Tempstar Top HSPF Rating
|Tempstar Heat Pump Model Comparison|
|Deluxe Series (Premium Model)||Performance Series (Mid-Range Model)||QuietComfort® Series (Economy Model)|
|Efficiency offers up to 19 SEER with 11 HSPF||Up to 17.5 SEER with 9.5 HSPF||Up to 16 SEER with 9 HSPF|
|10-Year No Hassle Replacement Limited Warranty with 10-Year Parts Limited Warranty||10-Year Parts Limited Warranty||5-Year No Hassle Replacement Limited Warranty with 10-Year Parts Limited Warranty|
|High-efficiency ECM variable speed condenser fan motor.||Single-speed condenser fan motor||Single-speed fan motor|
|High-efficiency variable-speed rotary compressor||Two-stage compressor||Efficient, single-stage scroll compressor|
|Baked-on powder coat finish over galvanized steel with protective tight wire grille panels.||Powder coat finish over galvanized steel with protective inlet grille panels.||Powder coat finish over galvanized steel with tight wire grille.|
|Ion System Control with Wi-Fi® remote access convenience.||Controls not indicated||Wi-Fi® enabled remote access with the Observer® communicating control|
diagnostic from outdoor and indoor connected units.
wires to outdoor unit required
|Coil design and features not indicated||Coil design and features not indicated||Coil design and features not indicated|
|Control panel features not indicated||Control panel features not indicated||Control panel features not indicated|
|Meets ENERGY STAR Heat Pump qualifications||Select models are Energy Star rated||Select models are Energy Star rated|
|High Pressure Switch on all models||N/A||N/A|
|Low Pressure Switch on all models||N/A||N/A|
|Electronic Expansion Valve||Thermostatic Expansion Valve||Expansion Valve information not indicated|
|Defrost information not indicated||Defrost information not indicated||Defrost information not indicated|
Tempstar Additional Information
High Performance HVAC always recommends to consumers purchasing new HVAC equipment make sure you choose a good HVAC contractor for the installation of the new system. Installation is very important and poor installation can lead to premature failure and poor performance of the new system.
Tempstar offers a 10 year “No Hassle” replacement limited warranty that guarantees if the coil or the compressor fails in the first ten years Tempstar will replace the heat pump unit. When you see limited warranty make sure you read the fine print because many times you will get the replacement for free but you will have to pay for labor to install the new heat pump condenser. Nearly all limited warranties do not include the cost of labor. Always check to see if an extended parts and labor warranty is available from the manufacturer especially when purchasing the top of the line models.
For more on the Tempstar warranty and for the latest models and efficiency ratings see the Tempstar website.
There is not much history about Tempstar except the fact they are owned by United Technologies.
Tempstar Heat Pump Reviews - Consumer Ratings
The following video demonstrates a pair of Tempstar heat pumps that look pretty good. One thing of note: These heat pumps look a little close to the house. The standard for distance is a minimum of 18 inches. I prefer a little more space but the space allows for proper air flow and access for service and repair. Most code inspectors would have caught this on an inspection for a final on the permit.