Trane XR14 High-Efficiency Heat Pump Reviews - Trane classifies the XR14 heat pump as a high-efficiency model heat pump system. This is considered the lower middle-efficiency range for Trane as the list four classifications in their marketing of heat pump systems. The have the standard efficiency, high efficiency, ultra efficiency, and the super efficiency model heat pumps. They list their features of the XR14 Heat Pump –
Trane XR14 High Efficiency Heat Pump Reviews Features:
- Efficient Compressor (Climatuff) - They manufacture all their own compressors. They do not say the compressor is a scroll or other type of compressor but the photo in the marketing literature looks like they have a scroll compressor inside the XR-14. The scroll compressor is a good compressor.
- Galvanized Louvered panels made of steel - this is good. Very good. The louvered steel panels protect the delicate fins on the coils from being damaged or bent. Many times these coils are bent or damaged and this causes a restriction of airflow in the condensing unit. The louvered steel panels prevent this damage to the coils or the fins around the coils. The galvanized steel makes it durable and unlikely to corrode or rust anytime soon. Nearly all manufacturers do this for the condensing units.
- Baked on Powder Paint - see the bullet point above about corrosion and rusting on condensing units.
XR14 Heat Pump SEER Rating
XR14 Heat Pump HSPF Rating
- Spine Fin outdoor coils - this means the fins surrounding the coils are not conventional fins as many manufacturers put on the heat pump or air conditioner condensing units. The spine fin coils are all aluminum. Aluminum has an altogether slightly better heat exchange ratio over any other metal which adds a little more efficiency to the XR14 Heat Pump model among other systems which use the spine fin coils in the condensing unit.
- Duratuff Rustproof base-pan - again this goes towards durability for any type of equipment, especially condensing units, that operate outside and need the durable protection against rust and corrosion.
- Sound Insulator on the compressor for quiet operation - if you have ever slept near a window where a condenser was turning on and off all night long then you have probably had your sleep interrupted so it is important for manufacturers to ensure their equipment is as quiet as possible. Trane places an insulation blanket around the compressor to reduce noise. This will not eliminate noise altogether but it will reduce the noise. Many manufacturers place blankets on their compressors to reduce noise.
- XR14 Heat Pump comes with R410A refrigerant models and this is highly recommended at this time because R22 refrigerant is being phased out soon and prices have risen for R22 refrigerant.
- Lastly the XR14 comes with a ten-year limited warranty on the compressor and the outdoor coil. A five-year limited warranty is offered on all other functional parts. Of course, They have optional extended warranties available and it is recommended you get the optional warranties available as HVAC repairs are not cheap and spending on a parts and labor warranty now will save you a lot in the future.
Trane XR14 High Efficiency Heat Pump Reviews Additional Thoughts:
If you are on a budget then this is the air conditioner for you. Just make sure to hire the right contractor to install the system.
Trane XR14 High Efficiency Heat Pump Reviews Conclusion
Overall the XR14 is a good heat pump. On a scale of one to ten, I give it an eight for an economical heat pump purchase. What say you?
For more information on Trane and their latest models and efficiency ratings please see the Trane website.
Trane XR14 High Efficiency Heat Pump Reviews
Air Conditioner Breaker Trips | Air Conditioner Condensation Water Dripping – Condensate Leaks | Air Conditioning Blower Motor Repair | Air Conditioner Troubleshooting | HVAC Refrigerant Leaks | Fixing a Refrigerant Leak Air Conditioner Compressor Troubleshooting | Variable Speed ECM Blower Motors | Carrier Gas Furnace Reviews | Burnham Boiler Reviews | Lennox Heat Pump Reviews | Building Automation Systems | Daikin Air Conditioner Reviews | Carrier Gas Furnace Reviews | HVAC Triple Evacuation | Variable Speed ECM Condenser Fan Motors | Run Start Capacitors HVAC Motors | Ohms Law and HVAC | Condenser Fan Motor Repair | Fuel-Gas Code Overview | How To Fix Sweating Copper Pipes | Humidifiers and Comfort | Boiler Circulation Problems | Troubleshooting Broken Thermostats