12 Best Heat Pumps
12 Best Heat Pumps
What Are Heat Pumps?
Heat pumps are incredibly useful heating, air conditioning (HVAC), and ventilation systems that can heat and cool your house. They work, taking the heat out of the air in one space and moving it into the air in another area. During warmer months, the heat pump will eliminate heat from within your house and transfer it outside in the colder season, and it’ll take heat from the outdoors and bring it inside.
12 Best Heat Pumps
Heat pumps provide a cost-effective alternative to the standard central air system. Rather than relying on an external compressor component and an inside furnace component, a heat pump combines both functions into one unit. In the summertime, these units will pump warm air indoors back out. In the winter, these units will force heat into the house. Heat pumps yet have compressors, heating elements, and in few cases, furnaces. This article reviews the different excellent heat pumps. We will be talking about what you require to know before committing to a heat pump and when a heat pump is extra valuable to the homeowner than the central AC unit.
Lennox XP25 Heat Pump | 12 Best Heat Pumps
The Lennox XP25 is a part of the Lennox Signature Collection. It was ranked by our reviewers and won the Energy Star Heat Pump Most effective title for 2018. The XP25’s Climate IQ technology and a variable-capacity inverter-controlled compressor let the unit precisely adjusting its output. It has a high-level efficiency rating with a 23.50 SEER and a 10.20 HSPF, and its Silent Comfort Technology aids keep the noise down to 58 decibels. The XP25 is solar-ready and dual fuel capable when paired with a compatible furnace.
- Many reviewers stated that the pump is effective at climate control and that it consumed small electricity.
- Many reviewers mentioned that it operates quietly.
- One reviewer mentioned inadequate winter heating.
- Many reviewers mentioned periodic part replacements.
- Perfect installed by a highly trained installer.
Comfortmaker Performance Heat Pump | 12 Best Heat Pumps
The Comfortmaker Performance is a single-stage, split system heat pump. It’s Energy Star qualified and is available in efficiencies of 13, 14, and 15 SEER and up to an 8.5 HSPF. Dual-fuel capability may be enabled when the unit is paired with a compatible gas furnace. It uses a scroll compressor and aluminum fin coil for effective heat transfer. It comes with pressure-changing switch options and a solid-state control with a time-based temperature defrost capability. Comfort maker problems a 10-year warranty on all functioning parts.
- Easily low-efficiency machine with high ratings
- Dual-fuel capability
- Many owners mentioned that they got many years of work out of these heat pumps
- Contractors are not legally allowed to install 13 SEER heat pumps in a few parts of the U.S.
York Affinity YZH Heat Pump | 12 Best Heat Pumps
The York YZH is a 2-stage heat pump with a SEER efficiency rating of 18 and a 10.0 HSPF rating. It uses a Quiet Drive System, which utilizes a swept-wing fan and a composite base pan, which keeps the system’s sounds low than 68 decibels. The unit has an internal pressure relief valve, pressure control capabilities, and a filter drier to eliminate contaminants and moisture from the air. The unit is finished with powder coat paint that protects it from corrosion.
- Many owners stated that it runs quietly
- Many reviewers mentioned low electricity consumption
- Many owners highlighted the best air filtration capabilities.
- One owner complained of inefficiencies in climate control in severe weather
- One reviewer stated that the Compressor had to be replaced many times
- The YZH offers a ten-year warranty on the Compressor and other parts.
Coleman LX Heat Pump | 12 Best Heat Pumps
The Coleman LX is an energy-effective heat pump with a rating between 13 and 14.5 SEER and up to 9 HSPF. Choose models of the LX are Energy Star qualified, and each LX model features R-410A, an eco-friendly refrigerant. The LX uses a raised coil guard and improved compressor technology to let for quiet operation. It sorts a filter-drier and an automotive powder-painted exterior.
- Many owners stated that it runs quietly
- Environmentally-friendly features
- Sub-par warranty with only five-year coverage on parts.
- One reviewer stated that the Compressor is extra prone to needing replacement parts for this product than in other brands.
- The Coleman LX comes with a ten-year warranty on the Compressor and a five-year warranty on the parts.
Coleman Echelon Heat Pump - 12 Best Heat Pumps
The Coleman Echelon is an Energy Star qualified heat pump with an energy efficiency rating between 16-18 SEER and 10.0 HSPF. The HC8B has a useful 2-stage compressor, and the fan guard offers quiet performance. The unit features a Whisper Drive comfort system and uses R-410A. It comes with a perfect warm-to-touch feature that works to prevent cold start-up drafts.
- Mid-level sound ratings
- Environmentally friendly features
- Little minority of reviewers have warned of fan motor burnout.
- Many owners complained of multiple repairs and part replacements.
- Must be registered online within three months to receive the 10-year warranty.
Air Source Heat Pump Tips | Dual Fuel Heating
A dual fuel heat pump is a heat pump with a gas furnace for backup heating rather than electric heat strips.
Air source heat pumps have a backup heating source. In most installations, the backup heating source is electric heat strips. Electric heat strips are very cheap to install in most cases. However, while electricity is generally regarded as 100% efficient, producing it is more costly than other heating methods. For a more efficient heat pump, consider a dual fuel heat pump, or a heat pump with a gas furnace for the backup heat source. It will be more costly to install, but your monthly bills will be reduced.
York LX Heat Pump | 12 Best Heat Pumps
The York LX series comes in 3 different models, YHJR, YHJF, and YHJD. They all come equipped with the Diamond Defrost functions, which let for optimum winter performance. The LX series has a SEER rating of 13 and a 7.7 HSPF rating. The models come at an affordable price with high efficiency and lower monthly electrical costs.
The heat pumps use the R-410A refrigerant, which is an ecologically friendly choice for refrigerants. The York LX heat pump sorts a compact design, which raises installation flexibility. The compressor unit is protected by high and lower pressure switches and a liquid line filter drier, and swept-wing fan design, rigid top panel, and isolator mounted Compressor help keep sound levels low.
- Many owners praised the efficiency of the pump during winters
- Many reviewers mentioned that the LX was affordable
- One reviewer complained of many electrical problems
- Many owners believe that their heat pump came defective from the factory
- Must be registered online within three months to receive the ten-year limited warranty on parts and Compressors.
Goodman DSZC18 Heat Pump
With an efficiency of up to 18 SEER and 9.5 HSPF, the Goodman DSZ18 heat pump model is a quiet, price-efficient model. The unit comes with a suction line accumulator, compressor crankcase heater, high capacity muffler, and filter drier to clean the air of contaminants. The perfect part of this model is the perfect steel cabinets with a baked-on powder paint finish that protects against natural and rust elements that cause decay and deterioration in metallic products.
Such as the models mentioned above uses the R-410A refrigerant. Goodman’s DSZC18 heat pump sorts a 2-stage UltraTech Copeland scroll compressor with short cycle protection. The unit is compatible with Goodman’s Comfort Net Communications System, which monitors the system and lets contractors to precisely troubleshooting problems. A high-density foam compressor sound cover, an efficient fan motor, and a wire fan discharge grille help offer quiet operation.
- Lifetime limited warranty for the Compressor
- Must be registered online within two months to receive maximum warranty coverage.
- Many reviewers warned of the bad controller board.
- One reviewer complained that the parts distribution is slow.
Trane XR15 Heat Pump
The Trane XR15 heat pump is an energy-efficient heat pump with up to 16.0 SEER and 9.5 HSPF. The unit is equipped with a DuraTuff non-corrosive base pan, which allows for fast liquid drainage and galvanized panels with baked-on powder paint to prevent rust from forming. Every unit is equipped with the Climatuff compressor, which is known for its durability and the sound-reduction insulator that offers quiet operation.
The XR15 uses the environmentally friendly R-410A refrigerant. The XR15 heat pump from Trane sorts the company’s Climatuff Compressor and Spine Fin coil to ensure the unit’s durability and reach Energy Star qualifications when installed as part of a qualifying system. The unit is protected by weather-resistant components and louvered panels around all sides and has a corrosion-resistant DuraTuff base pan.
- Moderately efficient
- Extended warranty available
- Reviewers have warned that the Trane XR15 has difficulty controlling humidity.
- Must be registered online within two months to receive the warranty.
- One reviewer complained that it was prone to loud noises when issues occurred.
Carrier Infinity Heat Pump | 12 Best Heat Pumps
The Carrier Infinity heat pump, having earned the Energy Star qualification, has an efficiency rating of up to 20.5 SEER and 13.0 HSPF. It’s available with single-stage, 2-stage, and variable-speed compressors and utilizes the Silencer System II to keep sound levels as low as 56 decibels, low than a normal conversation.
The Infinity Touch Control monitors the user’s preferences and the outside situations and has a Wi-Fi option, which allows the system to be managed remotely. The Infinity series is compatible with the Hybrid Heat system of Carrier, which increases efficiency by gauging the outside air temperature and deciding whether it is more effective to use the electric heat pump or another heat source like a gas furnace. All models and sizes of the Infinity heat pump have earned the Energy Star qualification.
- The high-end Infinity 21 is very efficient.
- Big physical footprint
- One reviewer, a self-described HVAC Contractor, mentioned that the difficult start kits have to be replaced about every three years
- Carrier problems a ten-year warranty on the parts and the Compressor, but the warranty reverts to a five-year warranty if no online registration is done.
Amana ASZ16 Heat Pump - 12 Best Heat Pumps
Amana ASZ16 is an energy-efficient heat pump with up to 16.0 SEER and 9.0 HSPF. The unit provides a quiet, 2-speed condenser fan motor, a 2-stage Copeland UltraTech scroll compressor, a filter-drier, and pressure switches. The unit has an efficient cooling capacity and uses the R-410A refrigerant. Insulation foam makes a sure quiet performance. The ASZ16 was built with the Comfort Alert diagnostics module.
This lets HVAC contractors monitor your heat pump remotely. This assists them to detect and fix issues that can arise very early. The Amana ASZ16 heat pump was designed with energy savings in mind with sorts like the high-efficiency Scroll compressor and copper tubing on the enhanced aluminum fin coil. The Smart Shift feature keeps the defrost mode quiet, while a sound control top makes sure the unit operates as noiselessly as possible.
- Many owners remarked on the excellent efficiency in the summer
- Many owners complained that distribution of parts is prone to be slow
- Many owners complained that repair prices are high
Koldfront WAC12001W 12,000 BTU Heat/Cool Window Air Conditioner/Heat Pump
Window air conditioners do not come in an extra dynamic package than this latest entry in the HVAC field from Koldfront. Built to cool or heat small spaces in the 450 to 550 square-foot range, the Koldfront WAC1200 performs smoothly and effortlessly in summer, winter, and in between. Control choices for this appliance are plentiful and function impeccably. They give users the ability to determine room or place temperatures down to a fraction of a degree.
The Koldfront WAC1200 sets a formidable standard in the small-space cooling and heating category. It provides a plethora of programming options for advanced adaptability, maintaining a desirable temperature level on a daily, nightly, and 4-seasons basis. It’s fast and simple to install and well within the budget of the average homeowner or renter. The Koldfront WAC1200 combines performance with versatility, making it a winner in the window AC or heat pump type.
- Lower Priced Unit in Comparison to the Competition
- Remote Control Included for Hands-Free Operation
- Comparatively Lightweight for a Window A/C at 88.4 Lbs.
- 3 Separate Fan Speeds, Plus an Automatic Setting
- 4-Way Directional Air Louvers make Even Air Distribution
- One day Timer Allows for Enhanced Temperature Management
- Eliminates Up to 60 Pints of Water Per Day in Dehumidifying Mode
- Sleep Mode Modulates Temperatures Overnight to low Energy Consumption
- Energy-Saver Mode Runs Fan at 2 mints Intervals and Limits Compressor Activation
- Needs a 220-Volt Connection Instead of the Standard 115-Volt
- Energy Efficiency rating slight Below the Energy Efficient Models
- Great Suited for Single Rooms or Small Apartments Instead of Larger Spaces
Rheem RP-20 Heat Pump - 12 Best Heat Pumps
The Rheem RP-20 heat pump with a Copeland scroll variable speed compressor offers 20 SEER and 11 HSPF for efficiency in heating and cooling for a proper setup. A dual fuel heat pump setup for the RP-20 is also available when paired with a high-efficiency Rheem gas furnace.
12 Best Heat Pumps