Table of Contents
Tempstar Air Conditioner Reviews | Consumer Ratings - Tempstar offers air conditioners with efficiency ratings from 13 SEER to 19 SEER. Their air conditioners are mainly used for residential and light commercial applications and Tempstar air conditioners offer split system air conditioners, Tempstar package unit air conditioners and gas packs, and mini-split air conditioners. Various features of selected Tempstar air conditioners are:
Tempstar Air Conditioner Reviews | Consumer Ratings | Select Features
- Two-stage cooling in selected Tempstar air conditioners
- Variable speed and capacity options are available in top tier models.
- R-410A ozone friendly refrigerant in selected Tempstar air conditioners
- Rugged condenser cabinets offer durability in Tempstar air conditioners
- Scroll compressors in selected Tempstar air conditioners
- Engineered for quiet operation
- Energy Star rated air conditioner models available
- Lastly, 10-year limited warranty on parts
- Tempstar Warranties as Compared to Other Brands 90% 90%
- Tempstar Quality as Compared to Other Brands 90% 90%
- Consumer Opinion based on Field Experience 81% 81%
- Tempstar Efficiency Compared to Other Brands 88% 88%
- Overall Tempstar Opinion from a Technical Perspective 91% 91%
Top Model SEER Rating
Tempstar Air Conditioner Model Comparisons.csv
|Carrier Air Conditioner Model Comparison|
|QuietComfort® Series (Premium Model)||Performance Series (Mid-Range Model)|
|13 SEER and up to 19 SEER Performance||13 SEER AND up to 17 SEER Performance|
|10-Year Unit Replacement Limited Warranty with 10-Year No Hassle Replacement Limited Warranty||10-Year Unit Replacement Limited Warranty with 10-Year No Hassle Replacement Limited Warranty|
|High-efficiency ECM condenser fan motor in select systems||Two-speed fan motor in select systems (Recommend ECM Variable speed for indoor fan motor)|
|Variable-speed compressor operation (top model)||Two-Stage scroll compressor in select models/single-stage in other Performance series models|
|Heavy-gauge galvanized-steel cabinet|
with baked-on, durable powder coat paint and protective tight wire grille panels
|Heavy-gauge galvanized-steel cabinet |
with baked-on, durable powder coat paint and protective tight wire grille panels
|Ion System Control (Optional)||Conventional Thermostat Control|
|56 decibels||71 decibels|
|Select sizes meet ENERGY STAR Air Conditioner qualifications||Meets ENERGY STAR Air Conditioner qualifications for select models|
|High and Low-pressure refrigeration switches||Not indicated (ask sales person)|
Air Conditioners | The Bells and Whistles | Tempstar Air Conditioner Reviews | Consumer Ratings
The top of the line Observer TXT has the ability to communicate with other parts of the split system using Tempstar’s SmartComfort TXT communicating system. This is only available if paired with an indoor air handling unit with the same capabilities. In other words, you need to match the indoor unit with the outdoor for optimal efficiency and the ability for the system to communicate. Lastly, Tempstar says it allows for more efficiency and fine-tuning of comfort when the various components of the split system communicate with each other.
Tempstar Air Conditioner Reviews: Questions
My question for the salesman who wants me to buy this unit:
- Please explain to me how this communicating system works? Maybe it’s a good thing but from what I’m seeing is that you will have to buy a Tempstar thermostat from Tempstar. If you have problems with the thermostat, you don’t have the option of purchasing an off the shelf thermostat to get you by until the repairman can come and look at it. It’s not a conventional thermostat that you can order online or buy at your local hardware store. I know some things have to be proprietary but a thermostat and a system that will lock you into calling that HVAC contractor for any problems. That whittles down the competition and makes things cost more. I would want to see proof that this communication system adds more efficiency and features over the conventional system.
- Does the system have a diagnostic feature? This helps make the air conditioner troubleshooting process much easier for technicians. That means it will presumably save you money in the long run because the service technician who troubleshoots the system can possibly do his job quicker with this feature.
- Do you offer an extended warranty? Furthermore, if you are buying anything with bells and whistles you will want to purchase the extended warranty that hopefully covers parts and labor. Parts AND Labor!
We list air handlers and condensing units separately below because you can purchase them separately if one or the other goes bad. The key is to get a matched set. The contractor should accommodate you with the matching for size and capabilities. For example, if you have a two-stage air conditioner condensers, you’ll want a variable speed ECM blower in the air handler. Additionally, the indoor coil should be sized appropriately also to match the indoor unit.
Tempstar Air Handlers | Air Conditioner Reviews
Tempstar air handlers are available in up-flow, down-flow, or horizontal flow configurations and Tempstar air handlers serve the residential and light commercial markets. Their air handlers have some options available to increase efficiency such as the variable speed motors. The variable speed ECM blower motors come in two different configurations: Both are high efficiency however only one is fully variable speed. Additionally, check with the dealer for this option and ask questions about before making the purchase.
Additionally, some Tempstar air handlers come with the TXV or Thermostatic expansion valve that regulates the refrigerant flow in the evaporator. Units that use a TXV get better efficiency than units that use other methods or metering devices to meter the refrigerant for the evaporator coil. If it was my air handler I would want the TXV option. Unless the system was a variable refrigerant capacity system. Then you want an electronic expansion valve. Lastly, for more information on expansion devices see our articles on this subject.
Tempstar Air Handler Features
Selected features of Tempstar air handlers include:
- Variable speed blower motors available in select Tempstar air handlers - see above for available options for this feature
- Tempstar air handlers coils use R410A
- Heavy gauge galvanized, triple painted steel cabinets give Tempstar air handlers durability
- Lastly, insulated cabinet keeps Tempstar air handlers quiet
The Tempstar warranties available for various air handlers mirror other warranties from other HVAC brands so the warranty is not really a matter of influence on the consideration to purchase the air handler. We recommend you always match systems as recommended by the manufacturer to get the best available efficiency for the system.
Condensing Units | Tempstar Air Conditioner Reviews | Consumer Ratings
Tempstar condensing units are available for residential and light commercial applications and available in heat pump models and air conditioner models. The efficiency ratings for the heat pumps range from 19 SEER for the cooling mode. Top tier model air conditioner tops out at 19 SEER. Both systems can be configured with a communicating ability where the condenser and air handler communicate via a special thermostat. Tempstar claims this increases efficiency and makes troubleshooting the system easier.
The economical Tempstar models range from 13 SEER and up with the higher SEER models using ECM condenser fan motors for efficiency and quiet operation of the condenser. Several factors come in to play for making a decision on which system to purchase. Some people are absolutely sold on a particular brand however we always recommend to make the decision based on the reputation and competency of the HVAC installation contractor. Furthermore, if you purchase the best system in the world but if it is not installed properly it will never meet expectations or promises.
Tempstar Condensing Unit Features
Various features of selected Tempstar condensing units include:
- Condensing unit air conditioners and heat pumps come in two-stage models for better energy efficiency and humidity control in select systems
- Top tier model has variable capacity
- Select Tempstar condensing units are Energy Star rated
- Tempstar condensing units come with a 10 year warranty on the compressor and functional parts
- Select Tempstar condensing units come in up to 19 SEER for better energy efficiency
- Lastly, homeowners extended labor warranty available for additional cost*
Air Conditioner Pricing, Efficiency, and Return On Investment Factors
|Pricing Versus Efficiency Return On Investment|
|Efficiency||Pricing Range for Initial Purchase and Subsequent Repairs outside of Warranty||ROI (Return On Investment)|
|19 SEER Plus||$$$$$||5 to 7 years depending on efficiency*|
|15 to 18 SEER||$$$||7 to 10 years depending on efficiency*|
|13 to 14 SEER||$||Over 10 years*|
|*Many factors depend on ROI such as house insulation, personal usage preferences, duct work integrity, and other basic efficiency factors. SEER level efficiency is very important to ROI. The higher the SEER, the quicker the return.|
Matching Air Handler and Condensing Unit Versus Efficiency
In most cases, it is important to match the systems from the condensing unit to the air handler. By doing so, you should come close to or match the listed SEER rating on the unit. Don’t expect the efficiency rating listed if you do not match the air handler and condensing unit. Additionally, if you have a gas furnace for heat, provided the furnace has the proper controls, you may get by with only a condensing unit and a cased coil. Furthermore, for higher SEER condensing units you will want a gas furnace that has an ECM Variable speed blower. Lastly, that and the proper controls with the cased coil and you should be good for efficiency.
Warranties | Tempstar Air Conditioner Reviews | Consumer Ratings
Tempstar has competitive warranties that match or exceed most other HVAC manufacturers. They are pretty close to middle of the road for warranty standards. What makes them stand out is their 10-Year No Hassle Replacement™ Limited Warranty. As with any warranty always read the fine print. Additionally, make sure to register within the specified time period after installation. Furthermore, always recognize that many HVAC manufacturers only offer a limited parts warranty. This means you will have to pay for labor. Lastly, if available, we always recommend purchasing an extended parts and labor warranty if available. Lastly, especially if you purchase the higher SEER models.
About | Tempstar Air Conditioner Reviews
There is not much history about Tempstar except the fact they are owned by United Technologies which is the parent company for Carrier.
Tempstar Air Conditioner Reviews | Consumer Ratings