Armstrong Air Conditioner Reviews - Armstrong manufacturers air conditioners and other HVAC equipment mainly for residential but they also make light commercial HVAC equipment. Their line of air conditioners ranges in efficiency level from 13 SEER to 20 SEER making their air conditioner average for efficiency ratings in the HVAC industry for air conditioners. Their air conditioners also come in a variety of configurations from the standard split system air conditioner to the package unit air conditioner with either gas heat or in the heat pump configuration. Some features of various their air conditioners are:
- Armstrong Warranties as Compared to Other Brands 85% 85%
- Armstrong Quality as Compared to Other Brands 90% 90%
- Consumer Opinion based on Field Experience 85% 85%
- Armstrong Efficiency Compared to Other Brands 90% 90%
- Overall Armstrong Opinion from a Technical Perspective 92% 92%
Top SEER Rating
Armstrong Air Conditioner Reviews - Consumer Ratings | Select Features
- High-efficiency models include a fan design in the condenser to minimize noise
- An insulation blanket around the compressor in the condenser also helps reduce noise levels for select air conditioners
- High-efficiency air conditioners come with two-stage scroll compressors for better efficiency
- Select Air Conditioners are Energy Star rated
- Select Air Conditioners utilize the new ozone-friendly refrigerant R-410A
Always make sure you register the warranty as soon as possible after installation is complete.
Additional Features | Armstrong Air Conditioner Reviews
- Select air conditioners use scroll compressors in the condensing units
- Efficiency ratings certified by AHRI
- Select Armstrong air conditioners have ECM Variable Speed Condenser Fan Motors
Armstrong Air Handlers
Armstrong has a few basic air handlers in their inventory for air handlers and these air handlers complement their gas furnaces, oil furnaces, and other air-handling devices including electric furnaces. Armstrong air handlers are available to fit in small spaces and in a variety of configurations. The premium models enhance efficiency and comfort but do cost more than the other economical models.
Air Handler Features | Armstrong Air Conditioner Reviews
Nearly every air handler in existence has a problem with mold and mildew as inside the air handler it is dark and usually moist. Sometimes this becomes a problem that needs to be corrected because the drain pan under the evaporator coil can become clogged with mold and mildew and other undesirable fungi. Armstrong microban drain pan helps reduce this problem inside the air handler.
Various features of Armstrong Air Handlers are:
- Select Armstrong air handlers available to be fitted with electric heat strips.
- Select Armstrong air handlers available in up-flow, downflow, and horizontal flow configurations
- Air handlers have painted, heavy-gauge galvanized steel cabinets
- Armstrong air handlers use Micro-ban antimicrobial condensation drain pan to prevent mold and mildew growth
- Air handlers are insulated with foil faced insulation
- Select Armstrong air handlers have ECM variable-speed motors
Armstrong Condensing Units | Armstrong Air Conditioner Reviews
Armstrong condensing units can be purchased in efficiency ranges from 13 SEER to 18 SEER in both split system heat pumps and split system air conditioners. Selected features of Armstrong condensing units include:
- Selected Armstrong condensing units are Energy Star rated
- A louvered condenser panel protects the coils
- Armstrong heat pump condensers utilize a quiet shift reversing valve
- Select Armstrong condensers have compressor warranties of 10-year limited parts warranty
- Armstrong condensing units engineered for quiet operation
Armstrong Air Conditioner Model Comparisons Matrix
|Armstrong Air Conditioner Model Comparison|
|Variable-Capacity Performance (Premium Model)||Two-Stage Performance (Mid-Range Model)||Single-Stage Performance (Economy Model)|
|Up to 20 SEER Performance||Up to 16 SEER Performance||Up to 16 SEER Performance|
|10-Year Limited Parts Warranty with extended warranty available||Ten Year Parts Limited Warranty||10-Year Limited Parts Warranty|
|High-efficiency ECM condenser fan motor in select systems||Data for Condenser Fan Motor not indicated. Recommend at a minimum two-speed PSC fan motor. Prefer ECM Varialbe-speed. (Recommend ECM Variable speed for indoor fan motor)||No data for the condenser fan motor. Likely a single speed PSC motor which is typical throughout the industry for single-stage air conditioners|
|Inverter-Driven Scroll Compressor - Modulating||2-stage Copeland UltraTech scroll compressor||High-efficiency scroll compressor|
|Heavy-gauge galvanized-steel cabinet|
with removable metal louvered panels
with removable metal louvered panels
with removable metal louvered panels
|Requires Comfort Sync thermostat and a Comfort Sync|
enabled matching indoor unit
Sync thermostat or conventional thermostat
|Conventional Thermostat Control|
|69 decibels||76 decibels||78 decibels|
|Meets ENERGY STAR Air Conditioner qualifications||Meets ENERGY STAR Air Conditioner qualifications for select models||N/A|
|High and Low-pressure refrigeration switches||All Models - High and Low-pressure refrigeration switches||High and low-pressure switches|
|Model Reviewed: 4SCU20LX||Model Reviewed: 4SCU16LS||Model Reviewed: 4SCU13LE|
Questions for the Dealer/Salesman:
- Since this is a communicating system can the thermostat be wired for a legacy/conventional thermostat in the event of the failure of the communicating thermostat?
- Do you offer an extended warranty that covers parts and labor?
Air Conditioner Pricing, Efficiency, and Return On Investment Factors
|Pricing Versus Efficiency Return On Investment|
|Efficiency||Pricing Range for Initial Purchase and Subsequent Repairs outside of Warranty||ROI (Return On Investment)|
|19 SEER Plus||$$$$$||5 to 7 years depending on efficiency*|
|15 to 18 SEER||$$$||7 to 10 years depending on efficiency*|
|13 to 14 SEER||$||Over 10 years*|
|*Many factors depend on ROI such as house insulation, personal usage preferences, duct work integrity, and other basic efficiency factors. SEER level efficiency is very important to ROI. The higher the SEER, the quicker the return.|
Warranties | Armstrong Air Conditioner Consumer Ratings
Armstrong has HVAC industry average warranties for their equipment. With any HVAC manufacturer warranty understand it is a limited parts warranty. This means they pay for the part but you pay for the labor. We always recommend extended labor warranties to match the term of the parts warranty. This is especially recommended if you buy the premium models. Premium models are more complex and will require a skilled technician to troubleshoot the problem. With a part and labor warranty, you don’t have to worry. Extended labor warranties may be available. Ask the salesman before purchasing.
Other Armstrong Reviews
They were founded in 1928 in Columbus, Ohio by Lennox, the maker of other air conditioning and heating products. Lennox sold the company and name brand and then later reacquired the company and brand so they are officially owned by Lennox. They manufacturer air conditioning and heating equipment in Orangeburg, South Carolina where they have a state-of-the-art facility designed to produce quality air conditioning and heating products. They believe in quality and run-test every piece of equipment before it leaves its factory.
For more information about Armstrong and their latest models and efficiency ratings please visit the Armstrong website.
Armstrong Air Conditioner Reviews