Maytag Air Conditioner Reviews | Consumer Ratings - Maytag lists their top-of-the-line air conditioner as 20 SEER with AHRI now certifying the results of their claim. It is believable watching their marketing video for their IQ drive system which uses inverter technology. However, much about HVAC forced air systems to require top-of-the-line installers to install the equipment exactly as designed.
After dissecting everything and reading all the information I could find on inverter technology. It is a variable frequency drive that is used in commercial air conditioning and heating systems. Inverter technology changes the frequency of the electricity going to the electric motor. In this case, the electric motor is an electric motor in the compressor which is a rotary compressor.
Maytag Air Conditioner Reviews Features
Some features of air conditioner systems are:
- Rotary compressors are very quiet. You will find rotary compressors in selected Maytag air conditioners
- Other features of their air conditioners are engineered to ensure the system is quiet like a sound blanket and muffler on selected Maytag air conditioners
- Maytag Warranties as Compared to Other Brands 96% 96%
- Maytag Quality as Compared to Other Brands 89% 89%
- Consumer Opinion based on Field Experience 86% 86%
- Maytag Efficiency Compared to Other Brands 99% 99%
- Overall Maytag Opinion from a Technical Perspective 91% 91%
Top Model SEER Rating
Additional Maytag Features
- Dehumidification control features on selected air conditioner systems
- Energy Star rated on selected air conditioners
- Engineered for quiet operation down to 59 decibels
- Select units offer IQ Drive system for optimal efficiency and control
- They offer a great warranty that typically exceeds other HVAC manufacturer’s warranties.
Maytag Air Conditioner Reviews | Consumer Ratings - Inverter Technology
Inverter technology has been used and perfected in Japan in the mini-split units that are commonly used in Japan. It is clear that the mini-split air conditioner and heat pump units are efficient and reliable however they have not made it clear about the efficiency levels of their listed high-efficiency equipment.
Maytag Air Handlers
Maytag air handlers serve residential and light commercial applications and come configured with either up-flow, down-flow, horizontal flow, and as Maytag describes it a vertical flow air handler. I do not know what the difference is between up-flow and down-flow versus the vertical flow air handler so if anyone knows please make a comment in the comments section below.
It is always recommended when replacing the air handler that you also get a matching condenser, whether it is an air conditioner or a heat pump. A matching system will offer you the best in efficiency, and the two systems will work together better. Ask the Maytag contractor or Representative what the Anteater Technology feature is and how it protects the coil from formicary corrosion? It is a feature we noticed they listed but could find no further information about it.
Maytag Condensing Units
Maytag condensing units offer one of the highest efficiencies for air to air condensers throughout the HVAC industry with its 25.5 SEER system. Using inverter technology that has been available in commercial applications and mini-splits has made variable speed available in condensing units.
They call it the IQ Drive system, and it modulates the compressor based on demand. So if the demand is 25%, then the systems respond by running at 25% versus other systems that only run at 100% capacity 100% of the time no matter the demand or two-stage systems that run at either 50% capacity or 100% capacity.
Compared to the cost of installing a similarly rated geothermal system, the condensing unit with 25.5 SEER makes this a good deal for anyone.
Maytag Condensing Unit Features
Various features of condensing units include:
- Selected condensing units available in 25.5 SEER efficiency ratings. To ensure you get that efficiency level the indoor air handler needs to be matched with the condensing unit outside.
- All condensing units utilize R-410A refrigerant which is the latest refrigerant that causes the least impact to the environment while still giving you reliability and efficiency for an air conditioner or a heat pump system
- Condensing units engineered for quiet operation
- Condensing units use materials that are corrosion and rust-resistant
- Select condensing units are Energy Star rated
Maytag Air Handler Features
Various features of select air handlers include:
- Air handler available with multi-speed blower motors or variable speed ECM blower motors
- Air handlers come with a 12-year limited warranty and an optional 12-year labor warranty
- Humidity control with select air handlers
- Air handlers constructed for durability
- Select systems have 1″ thick insulation giving it an R-value of 4.2 which reduces cabinet heat loss/gain and insulates against noise making the air handler super quiet
History | Maytag Air Conditioners
Maytag began in 1893 as a farm implement manufacturer and later moved into making washing machines, which they are famous for when, in 1907, Fred Maytag decided to make washing machines. In the 1970s, the Maytag man came on television commercials and in 1974, introduced their very first automatic washing machine. They now make many different appliances, including air conditioning and heating systems.
For more information on Maytag and their latest models and efficiency, ratings visit the Maytag website.
Maytag Air Conditioner Reviews | Consumer Ratings
Too expensive $20k for largest dual system that has failed 3 times in only 7 years. Buy a different brand as the company DOES NOT CARE how much you have and continue to spend. How do you think they can afford the commercials? From consumers who waste their hard earned money on their products!
My in-laws had one installed last September, and it doesn’t get the job taken care of. It’s not cooling the way the installers claimed it would. And the noise it makes is almost embarrassing! 9 out of 10 times it scares the dickens out of me and my husband!! I’m expecting to walk outside just in time for it to launch off…good grief, Charlie Brown!
I live with my uncle and aunt and they had a new Maytag air conditioner installed about a year ago. From what I understand it cost them a lot but it also helped save money on the electric bill. The only thing I don’t like about it is the noise it makes outside my bedroom window. It sounds like an airplane outside my bedroom window and wish they would have put the thing somewhere else.