They offer four distinct series of air conditioners. First, the Evolution Series is Bryant’s top of the line models. The Preferred Series, which is Bryant’s premium quality air conditioners. Additionally, the Preferred Compact series, which is a premium product in a smaller package - and the Legacy series of products, which is the economical offering of Bryant air conditioning. Some features of Bryant air conditioners are:
Bryant Air Conditioners Reviews - Consumer Ratings | Select Features
For Bryant Air Conditioners Reviews, we list select features:
- Models range into the 21 SEER efficiency levels for selected Bryant air conditioners
- Selected Bryant air conditioners have two-stage operation for air conditioning. Two-stage scroll compressors give you extra comfort in staged cooling.
- Select Bryant air conditioners offer a high efficiency range especially when matched with a Bryant indoor unit.
Additional Features and Comparison Guide
- Bryant air conditioners are engineered to be quiet
- Electronic diagnostics available on selected Bryant systems for easier air conditioner troubleshooting
- Powder coating paint on air conditioning units prevent rust and corrosion
- Galvanized steel construction for durability of cabinet
Bryant Top SEER Rating
Never forget to register your warranty as soon as possible after the installation is complete.
Bryant Air Handlers
Bryant Air Handlers - Bryant air handlers range in models from Evolution Series to Preferred Series to Legacy Series in name and price range (with Evolution Series being the units with all the bells and whistles) if you are considering purchasing a Bryant air handler. Their air handlers are sized to fit the needs of residential and light commercial applications and can fit with either heat pumps or air conditioners.
With the premium models, you get some bells and whistles that enhance the efficiency of the air handlers. Bryant calls their air handlers “fan coil units,” but there is no difference between an air handler and a fan coil unit. They can all be configured in various ways and with various components.
In the opinion of this author, who has worked on Bryant systems before, Bryant makes a good product, and usually, they have very competent techs working for them. It’s a good product as long as the installation is proper and serviced properly.
Bryant Air Handlers Features | Bryant Air Conditioners Reviews
Selected features of various Bryant Air handlers are:
- Variable speed fans in select Bryant air handlers
- Ten years limited parts warranties in select Bryant air handlers
- Washable filters in select Bryant air handlers
- Galvanized sheet metal cabinet prepainted gives Bryant air handlers durability
- Coils utilize R-410A for Bryant air handlers. Bryant calls it Puron
- Available in up-flow, down-flow, or horizontal flow configurations for Bryant air handlers
Bryant Condensing Units
Bryant condensing units are available from 13 SEER up to 21 SEER. From Bryant’s economical Legacy line up to Bryant’s Evolution series, Bryant manufactures heat pump and air conditioner condensing units that match air handlers and gas furnaces systems. They also have a hybrid heating and cooling system that matches with a Bryant heat pump condenser. Various features of Bryant condensing units include:
- Two-stage compressors for high efficiency in select Bryant condensing units
- Bryant condensing units engineered for quiet operation
- Select Bryant condensers have advanced diagnostic features
- Louvered coil guard on select Bryant condensers
- Bryant condensing units available with R-410A refrigerant
Bryant Product Engineering | Bryant Air Conditioners Reviews
Bryant is a sister company of Carrier. Therefore, some of Carrier’s engineering goes into the Bryant condensing units. As this is concerned, some of the parts in Bryant condensing units are proprietary and can only be purchased through a Bryant (or Carrier) parts dealer. Carrier and Bryant do have a good network of parts dealers, and typically any part for any system can be shipped overnight, but these proprietary parts are not cheap.
On the other hand, the engineering is sound, and the product is a quality product provided it is properly installed and maintained on a regular schedule. That is important with any brand of HVAC equipment. Carrier and Bryant also have basic requirements for dealers and the training of their technicians, so you will more than likely get a technician that is very familiar with systems and repair promptly.
Bryant Air Conditioner Model Comparison Guide
|Bryant Air Conditioner Model Comparisons|
|Evolution Series||Preferred Series||Legacy Line|
|Varible Speed Air Conditioner||Two-Stage Air Conditioner||Single Stage Air Conditioner|
|56 decibels||72 decibels||76 decibels|
|Efficiency up to 19 SEER||up to 17 SEER||up to 16 SEER|
|Top Grade Highest Cost for Installation||Mid-Range Medium Cost for Installation||Builders Grade Lowest Cost for Installation|
|Lowest Operating Costs||Medium Operating Costs||Higher Operating Costs|
|It is absolutely necessary to have a Bryant Dealer install and service this equipment||Absolutely necessary to have a Bryant Dealer install and service this equipment||Installation by a Bryant delaer recommended but not essential. Any installation of any HVAC equipment should be done by a licensed, competent contractor.|
|5-stage rotary compressor||Two-Stage Scroll Compressor||Single-Stage Compressor|
|Energy Star rated||?||?|
|Recommended to be installed with Evolution Connex control but is compatible with two-stage controls||Hooked up to a two-stage control system||Used with a conventional thermostat|
|Bryant air conditioners use R-410A refrigerant||Uses R-410A refrigerant||Uses R-410A refrigerant|
|5 stages of variable control||2 stages of cooling||Single stage cooling only|
- Bryant Warranties as Compared to Other Brands 93% 93%
- Bryant Quality as Compared to Other Brands 93% 93%
- Consumer Opinion based on Field Experience 99% 99%
- Bryant Efficiency Compared to Other Brands 97% 97%
- Overall Bryant Opinion from a Technical Perspective 94% 94%
Warranty | Bryant Air Conditioners Reviews
Any HVAC warranty is different than the warranties you would expect, such as a car warranty. It is standard in the HVAC industry to offer a parts only warranty. That means you pay for labor if something goes wrong. It is a huge factor in purchase considerations that a manufacturer stand behind their product. However, verification of product quality is done at the factory. Product installation is a different story.
Furthermore, a bad installation will give you a lemon. A bad installation can result in a lower efficiency rating than what is on the product label. Additionally, a bad installation will also cause the unit to breakdown more often and lessen the life of the equipment.
Therefore, manufacturers have to rely on the contractor to do things correctly. A reputable contractor will have trained and skilled staff for this work. They will also offer a warranty for workmanship above the manufacturer’s warranty. Getting a reputable contractor for the installation is crucial.
Bryant Air Conditioner Buyer’s Guide
As mentioned above, getting a reputable contractor is crucial. It can make all the difference in the world for your comfort and happiness in buying a branded product such as a gas furnace. In that regard, we have written a buyer’s guide to help you navigate this process. Here are a few excerpts from our buyer’s guide tips:
- Always get at least three bids from reliable contractors. How do you find a good reliable HVAC contractor?
- Ensure the contractor does a load calculation for air conditioning and heating sizing. That is crucial.
- If the size of your HVAC system changes from the old to the new system (based on the load calculation) then, likely, the ductwork will also change in size.
For more tips see our HVAC Consumer Buyer’s Guide.
Gas Furnace Pricing, Efficiency, and Return On Investment (ROI) Factors
|Pricing Versus Efficiency Return On Investment|
|Efficiency||Pricing Range for Initial Purchase and Subsequent Repairs outside of Warranty||ROI (Return On Investment)|
|95% AFUE Plus||$$$$$||5 to 7 years depending on efficiency %*|
|90% to 95% AFUE||$$$||7 to 10 years depending on efficiency %*|
|80% to 90%||$||Over 10 years*|
|*Many factors depend on ROI such as house insulation, personal usage preferences, ductwork integrity, and other essential efficiency factors. The furnace AFUE rating is a high factor in the return.|
Air Conditioner Staging
After looking at the Bryant Model Comparison Chart above, you may be wondering what the difference in staging is? Does it make it more efficient? What is the difference between a modulating air conditioner and a two-stage air conditioner? Why would I want to pay more for a modulating air conditioner over an air conditioner that is two-stage when they have the same efficiency levels? The difference is in comfort. A modulating air conditioner will have less temperature swing over a single-stage or two-stage air conditioner. Of course, the chart refers to furnaces, but the temperature swing works the same with air conditioners.
Charles Bryant founded the company in 1904, offering gas fired boilers. United Technologies now owns Bryant. United Technologies is also the parent company of Carrier, among other HVAC brands.
Lastly, for more on Bryant and their latest models and efficiency ratings please see the Bryant website.
Bryant Air Conditioners Reviews - Consumer Ratings