Table of Contents
Amana Air Conditioner Reviews - Consumer Ratings, a technical review for buyers of Amana central air conditioners. They offer a full line of air conditioning units including a light commercial line of Amana central air conditioners.
Amana air conditioners can also come in package systems and are configured as a heat pump package unit or central air conditioning with a gas furnace package system.
The efficiency ranges of Amana central air conditioners range from 13 up to 24.5 SEER for the Amana high-efficiency model Energy Star rated air conditioning systems.
Amana Air Conditioner Reviews - Consumer Ratings
Amana Central Air Conditioner Reviews - Products Produced
Amana produces residential and light commercial HVAC equipment ranging from 1.5 to 5 tons. They have a well-developed dealer network across the USA offering Air Conditioners, Heat Pumps, Gas Furnaces, and other HVAC equipment through their dealer network.
Technical Opinion as Compared to Other Brands
- Amana Warranties 96% 96%
- Amana Quality 95% 95%
- Consumer Opinion based on Field Experience 85% 85%
- Amana Efficiency Compared to Other Brands 99% 99%
- Overall Amana Opinion from a Technical Perspective 95% 95%
Amana Central Air Conditioners Top SEER
Features | Amana Air Conditioner Reviews
- Two-stage high-efficiency scroll compressors in selected Amana air conditioner models results in high SEER rating than single-stage units
- R-410A refrigerant in selected Amana air conditioning models
- high and low refrigeration pressure switches for the refrigeration circuit in Amana air conditioners
- Blanket over the compressor to absorb sound on Amana air conditioners
- Durable tough cabinets that protect the coils from damage
- Performance certified by AHRI in selected Amana air conditioners
- Energy Star rated on selected Amana air conditioners for better energy efficiency in top models and reduces the amount of energy needed to run air conditioners.
- Warranties that cover up to 10 years with selected Amana air conditioners
Air Conditioner Pricing, Efficiency, and Return On Investment Factors
|Pricing Versus Efficiency Return On Investment|
|Efficiency||Pricing Range for Initial Purchase and Subsequent Repairs outside of Warranty||ROI (Return On Investment)|
|19 SEER Plus||$$$$$||5 to 7 years depending on efficiency*|
|15 to 18 SEER||$$$||7 to 10 years depending on efficiency*|
|13 to 14 SEER||$||Over 10 years*|
|*Many factors depend on ROI such as house insulation, personal usage preferences, duct work integrity, and other basic efficiency factors. SEER level efficiency is very important to ROI. The higher the SEER, the quicker the return.|
Additionally, it is important with many manufacturers that you purchase a matched HVAC system. In other words, an Amana air handler with a matching condensing unit. If you have gas heat then the gas furnace needs to be matched with the condensing unit.
This gives you the most out of the system and the ability to achieve the highest efficiency.
Amana Air Conditioner Reviews | Questions for the Salesman/Dealer:
- If you are purchasing the communicating system (Comfortbridge Technology) does it come with the ability to change the thermostat with a conventional thermostat? The purpose of this is that most communicating systems come with a proprietary thermostat that you will have to buy from the dealer. What if the thermostat went bad on a Friday. Will you have to wait until Monday to get it fixed whereas if you had the conventional thermostat other than Comfortbridge Technology you can pick one up at the hardware store and be in business again in a few hours.
- Does Amana offer extended parts and labor warranty? Parts warranties are standard but parts and labor warranty is a big bonus even if it cost you a few dollars to purchase one. If you are buying the top-of-the-line Amana air conditioner the extended warranty is what you want if one is available.
Model Comparison | Amana Air Conditioner Reviews
Amana Air Conditioner Model Comparison Matrix
|Amana Air Conditioner Model Comparison Matrix|
|Top of the Line Model||Mid-Grade Model||Economy Model|
|Communications compatible for diagnostics and remote control and monitoring||Communications compatible for diagnostics and remote control and monitoring||Standard control upgradable to remote monitoring and control with third party control thermostat|
|Variable Speed Compressor||Two-stage compressor||Single stage scroll compressor|
|Variable speed condenser fan motor||Two-speed condenser fan motor||Single speed condenser fan motor|
|Advanced diagnostics||Advanced diagnostics by Copeland||Advanced diagnostics by Copeland|
|R410A refrigerant||R410A refrigerant||R410A refrigerant|
|Copper condenser coils||Copper condenser coils||Copper condenser coils|
|Sound blankets and engineered for quiet operation||Sound blankets and engineered for quiet operation||Sound blankets and engineered for quiet operation|
|Heavy steel enclosure to protect condenser coils||Heavy steel enclosure to protect condenser coils||Heavy steel enclosure to protect condenser coils|
|Energy Star Rated||not listed||not listed|
|Extended service plans available||Extended service plans available||Extended service plans available|
|Lifetime Unit Replacement Limited Warranty||Lifetime Unit Replacement Limited Warranty||Lifetime Unit Replacement Limited Warranty|
|10 year parts limitied warranty||10 year parts limitied warranty||10 year parts limitied warranty|
Amana Air Handlers
Amana offers air handlers for many different combinations of Amana air conditioners and heat pump condensers. Best practices say you want to match an Amana air handler with an Amana air conditioner or heat pump condenser.
From the smallest residential air handler to light commercial air handlers Amana has a range of air handlers or fan coils that will fit your needs and match that Amana heat pump condenser or Amana air conditioner condenser.
Amana air conditioners have a top-of-the-line model that can be configured for communication between the condensing unit and the thermostat. Manufacturers claim that this communication feature enhances comfort, efficiency, and lessens any troubleshooting time an HVAC Technician may need to make a repair to the system.
The components have diagnostic features that are communicated to the thermostat in the event of a problem or an issue. This feature can also be used to alert the homeowner that it is time for maintenance or time to change the filter.
Amana Air Handler Features
Various features of selected Amana air handlers:
- R-410A used in Amana air handlers
- Multi-position air handlers available for selected Amana air handlers
- Selected Amana air handlers have variable speed motors for the blower
- Selected Amana air handlers have 10 limited parts warranty on functional parts
- Amana air handlers are durable and built with quality
Amana Air Conditioner Condensing Units
Amana air conditioners offer condensing units for both split system air conditioners and split system heat pumps. The SEER ratings for Amana air conditioner condensing units range from a bare-bones of 14 SEER to the 24.5 SEER Amana air conditioner condensing unit.
Amana condensing units are also available in
either R-22 or R-410 systems. Various features of selected Amana condensing units include:
- High-efficiency two stage scroll compressors in select Amana air conditioner condensing units
- Compressor sound blankets in select Amana air conditioners (condensing units)
- High-efficiency Amana air conditioners have a variable speed condenser fan motor that helps them achieve high energy efficiency
- Select Amana air conditioners (condensing units) have a top that is engineered to be quiet
- Select Amana air conditioner condensing units are Energy Star rated
- Amana air conditioner condensing units are certified by AHRI
Professional Opinion | Amana Condensing Units Reviews
Amana air conditioners have come a long way since they first began offering HVAC equipment several years ago. Goodman owns the HVAC line of Amana products so a lot of Goodman’s engineering methods go into the Amana condensing units and most of their HVAC systems. They have a very good dealer network so parts are usually close when something goes wrong and you need a repair.
Amana also, at most of the dealers I have dealt with, have training programs for their technicians to hone their skills on HVAC systems and the Amana line of HVAC products. I have also heard great things about their technical support people that will actually visit the technician in the field to resolve technical problems as necessary.
Again, with all of my opinions, I always stress the importance of installation over brand name. It is very important to have the system installed correctly and maintained on a regular schedule. This should be done by an Amana air conditioner HVAC contractor. Bottom line - if your Amana air conditioners are installed properly by an HVAC contractor, and maintained properly, you’ll enjoy years of energy-efficient comfort.
History | Amana Air Conditioner Reviews
Amana was founded in 1934 in Amana, Iowa by George Foerstner making beverage coolers.
They started making walk-in coolers for grocery stores and restaurants and continued on making these units until after WW II when they came out with the innovative Radarange which was the first portable counter-top microwave oven.
Later Amana was acquired by Maytag and now produces HVAC equipment under license from Goodman Manufacturing out of Houston, Texas.
For more information about Amana and its latest models and efficiency ratings please visit the Amana website.
Amana Air Conditioner Reviews - Consumer Ratings