Day and Night Air Conditioner Reviews - Day and Night Air Conditioners come in a variety of sizes and efficiency ratings and are mainly produced for the residential and light commercial market. Day and Night air conditioners range from a minimum of 13 SEER up to 19 SEER for the Day and Night air conditioner top of the line model. Selected Day and Night air conditioners are Energy Star rated. Features of Selected Day & Night air conditioners include:
Day and Night Air Conditioner Reviews - Consumer Ratings | Select Features
- Engineered for quiet operation
- Select Day and Night air conditioners have two-stage scroll compressors for added efficiency
- Top tier system available with the 5-stage modulating operation
- Select Day and Night air conditioners have two-stage fan motors in the condenser
- WiFi remote access available for select systems
- Select Day and Night air conditioners can be matched with an indoor variable-speed blower for added efficiency.
- Select Day and Night air conditioners offer a 10-year limited warranty on all parts including the compressor
Air Conditioner Pricing, Efficiency, and Return On Investment Factors
|Pricing Versus Efficiency Return On Investment|
|Efficiency||Pricing Range for Initial Purchase and Subsequent Repairs outside of Warranty||ROI (Return On Investment)|
|19 SEER Plus||$$$$$||5 to 7 years depending on efficiency*|
|15 to 18 SEER||$$$||7 to 10 years depending on efficiency*|
|13 to 14 SEER||$||Over 10 years*|
|*Many factors depend on ROI such as house insulation, personal usage preferences, duct work integrity, and other basic efficiency factors. SEER level efficiency is very important to ROI. The higher the SEER, the quicker the return.|
Questions for the Dealer/Salesman
- High Performance HVAC always recommends that you seriously consider purchasing (if available) an extended warranty that covers both parts and labor. I do know some companies offer extended 10-year parts and labor warranty and it is usually a tad bit on the high side and comes with a few strings such as you must purchase a maintenance contract approved by the manufacturer. Since labor is not typically included with standard warranties this type of warranty, if available, would mean the manufacturer is confident in their equipment and in the installation contractor.
- If you select the communicating system you will want it in the contract that the contractor should run the wire for the legacy system also. The communicating thermostat only uses two wires and if that system fails then you want to have the ability to wire it up to a traditional type of thermostat so you can get the system up and running quickly.
- What is SmartSense? It is listed on their website but not explained exactly what it is.
Models | Day and Night Air Conditioner Reviews - Consumer Ratings
Day and Night has two specific models. One is the premium model and the other is the economical model. Among those, the are several choices. The two varied models are the Ion model and the Performance model. The Ion ranges from 15 SEER to 19 SEER for efficiency. The 19 SEER is modulating for higher comfort and efficiency. The Ion series has a two-stage compressor for staging while the others are single-stage and offer higher efficiency by using variable-speed blowers and larger coils.
The Performance series offers a high-efficiency model that is 17 SEER. The 17 SEER Performance series has a two-stage compressor for higher efficiency. The other Performance series has a baseline efficiency of 14 SEER to 17 SEER with a few in the middle of those efficiency numbers.
Basic Critique of Information | Day and Night Air Conditioner Reviews - Consumer Ratings
Here is a basic critique of the information provided on the Day and Night Website.
- High-Efficiency Scroll Compressor - good for medium ranges of efficiency (in SEER). This compressor will cost you more than a single-stage compressor but is more efficient.
- Two-speed fan - this is an absolute must for the two-stage compressor however the ECM variable-speed condenser fan motor is more efficient but more costly for the initial purchase and for future repairs.
- Filter drier - this is a necessary part of the refrigeration system and it prevents trash and moisture from reaching the metering device/or compressor. All manufacturers provide this and most quality HVAC contractors install additional filter driers when you buy a new unit from them.
- Tightwire grille - this protects the coils (as mentioned) and is important to the integrity of the condenser. Again, this is provided by all manufacturers to protect the condenser coils.
- Powder coat finishes - this is good for you. It prevents rust and corrosion and is also done by most HVAC manufacturers.
- Compatible with most thermostats - Unless you purchase a higher efficiency system you don’t need a proprietary communicating thermostat. Most off-the-shelf thermostats can be installed by the consumer in the event the thermostat has problems and goes bad.
- R-410A refrigerant - all HVAC manufacturers use R-410A for residential equipment.
- Cooling capacity: 2 to 5 tons - The are the normal ranges for residential systems.
Day & Night is owned by the same company that produces Carrier which is United Technologies so you can expect to get similar engineering and components in the Day & Night brand that you get from a Carrier HVAC system. For more information on Day & Night and their latest models and efficiency ratings please visit the Day & Night website.
Day and Night Air Conditioner Reviews - Consumer Ratings