The Infinity 80 Gas Furnace offers efficiency ratings up to 80% AFUE. This in the Carrier literature for the Infinity 80 Gas Furnace. This very close to the minimum efficiency rating that HVAC manufacturers have to meet according to DOE requirements.
In other words, 80% of the heat this gas furnace makes will end up in the home. The other 20% will end up vented to the outside through the flue. This is if ideal conditions are met and the gas furnace is installed correctly.
Carrier Infinity 80 Gas Furnace Reviews | Consumer Ratings - Efficiency Rating
- Carrier Warranties as Compared to Other Brands 90% 90%
- Carrier Quality as Compared to Other Brands 95% 95%
- Consumer Opinion based on Field Experience 90% 90%
- Carrier Efficiency Compared to Other Brands 93% 93%
- Overall Carrier Opinion from a Technical Perspective 85% 85%
Features – Carrier Infinity 80 Gas Furnace Reviews | Consumer Ratings
Features of the Carrier Infinity 80 Gas Furnace as listed by Carrier in their literature include:
- 5 year parts warranty and a 20-year warranty on the heat exchanger. This is typical for economical gas furnaces produced by other manufacturers.
- ComfortHeat technology - this feature according to Carrier prevents temperature swings by predicting temperatures. Most HVAC manufacturers have a similar feature and many thermostats do the same by using anticipators
Carrier Infinity 80 AFUE Rating
- IdealHumidity is another feature listed by Carrier for the Carrier Infinity 80 Gas Furnace. A great feature that requires an ECM variable speed blower motor for the summer and humidifier for the winter. Carrier does not mention that this model comes with a humidifier. Make sure you ask if a humidifier comes with the furnace. Humidifiers will save you money in the winter. See the High Performance HVAC humidifiers page for more information about this.
- ComfortFan technology - there is no information at this time available form the Carrier literature about this feature. Good question for the salesman/contractor.
- Carrier lists that the Carrier Infinity 80 Gas Furnace is quiet which is important to many people. Carrier does not list decibel levels in their literature. Carrier claims that the Infinity 80 Gas Furnace uses technology that makes it quiet.
- Direct Ignition is a typical feature for many gas furnace manufacturers. This feature is included with the Carrier Infinity 80 Gas Furnace
- High-efficiency air filtration cabinet is listed as another feature for the Carrier Infinity 80 Gas Furnace. Questions about this feature: Does this mean you get an electronic air cleaner with this furnace. Or does this mean you have to buy expensive replacement filters periodically?
- Infinity communications with the Carrier Infinity 80 Gas Furnace. This is a feature that allows precise control of the gas furnace. It includes 70 diagnostic parameters that can be accessed via a laptop with special Infinity software. This makes is for better gas furnace troubleshooting.
The Carrier Infinity 80 Gas Furnace is a good economical gas furnace for those on a budget. However, I encourage people to reconsider higher efficiency models of gas furnaces when looking at replacing their gas furnaces. This is because the price of fuels for everything is constantly rising.
By installing a higher efficient gas furnace the operating costs in the future will be lower. Because of the lower operating cost the payback for the extra installation costs will be sooner rather than later. This is the case for all high-efficiency products including gas furnaces.
Furthermore, it is to your benefit to do a calculation based on efficiency. The calculation will be a return on investment calculation. How long will it take to recover the installation costs based on fuel savings from your old furnace. Additionally, taking it a step further, if you bought a higher efficiency furnace what would your ROI be?
If I needed a new furnace it would boil down to the contractor and the price. If I got a better price on a more efficient furnace with a good contractor I would go for that over this furnace. Many different manufacturers are producing furnaces that get over 90% AFUE and that equates to lower gas bills. You have to weigh the decision for what you want and what you need in the ballpark with your budget. For help with buying new HVAC equipment see our HVAC Buyers Guide Page.
Carrier Infinity 80 Gas Furnace Reviews | Consumer Ratings - About Carrier
For more on Carrier and their latest models and efficiency ratings please see the Carrier website.
See our other Carrier Reviews
Carrier Air Conditioner Reviews – Consumer Ratings
Carrier Gas Furnace Reviews - Consumer Ratings
Carrier Heat Pump Reviews – Consumer Ratings
Carrier Package Unit Reviews - Consumer Ratings
Carrier Infinity 80 Gas Furnace Reviews | Consumer Ratings
See our other helpful HVAC calculators placed throughout the site: