Amana Gas Furnace Reviews - Amana Gas Furnaces are manufactured by Goodman. However, Amana maintains its line of gas furnaces. Their gas furnaces range in efficiency from 80% AFUE to 98% AFUE. Additionally, all the Amana gas furnaces use a tubular heat exchanger that is durable and considered one of the best. Amana offers great warranties. That means Amana stands behind the quality of their product. Additionally, Amana also offers modulating furnaces for higher efficiency ratings.
Gas Furnaces produced by Amana AFUE ratings are comparable to other industry brands. When considering an Amana and another brand of comparable AFUE ratings, it will boil down to price and contractor. The price is according to your budget. Importantly, a good contractor is essential. Proper installation is very relevant to the longevity and efficiency of the system. Furthermore, improper installation will affect the efficiency and life of the system.
Amana Technical Opinion as Compared to Other Brands
- Amana Warranties 96% 96%
- Amana Quality 95% 95%
- Consumer Opinion based on Field Experience 85% 85%
- Amana Efficiency Compared to Other Brands 99% 99%
- Overall Amana Opinion from a Technical Perspective 95% 95%
Amana Gas Furnace Reviews | Consumer Ratings
Various features of select Amana gas furnaces include:
- First, a lifetime limited warranty covers the heat exchanger in select Amana furnaces. The same many other manufacturers offer with a few exceptions
- Select Amana gas furnaces include electronic ignition and control boards. Control boards have diagnostic features for better gas furnace troubleshooting. Furthermore, this includes a basic memory to hold diagnostic fault or flash codes even if power is interrupted
- Variable-speed ECM blower fans in the higher efficiency range gas furnaces
- Hot surface ignition in all Amana gas furnaces
- Modulating gas furnaces available in the premium line models
- Multi-position gas furnaces available for easier installation options
- Finally, select gas furnaces are Energy Star rated
Amana Top of the Line AFUE Rating
Warranty and Additional Options | Amana Gas Furnace Reviews
Always ensure you understand the warranty before making any major purchase. Most HVAC warranties only cover parts and not labor. If a problem occurs, you will be required to pay for labor. Additionally, check to see if an extended part and labor warranty are available.
Consequently, this is especially true if you are purchasing the top of the line models. Finally, make sure to register the warranty as soon as possible after installation.
Additionally, read the fine print of your warranty to check for exclusions and limitations. For example, some warranties expire when there is a transfer of ownership. Therefore, when you sell the house, the warranties are no longer valid.
Control | Amana ComfortNet™ Amana Upsell Products that Can Benefit You
Furthermore, Amana offers a communicating system that adapts to their systems. Amana calls it their ComfortNet™ Communications System. The system offers remote control. That is useful in case you need to adjust the HVAC system when you are away for an extended time. If you select this system, make sure the wiring for the thermostat switched to a conventional thermostat — another reason to see if an extended part and labor warranty is available and purchasing that warranty.
Features of ComfortNet™ include:
- Advanced diagnostics which enhances troubleshooting any problems which may arise
- Properly manages airflow between the indoor and outdoor units
- Optional internet connectivity offers remote control and monitoring of your Amana HVAC system
- Automatic maintenance reminders
- Precise temperature control to with +/- 1° F.
- Scheduling that is easily programmed
- Lastly, wireless capabilities to expand temperature sensors
This smart thermostat recommended only for the mid to premium models. It works well with systems that modulate, have staging capabilities, or have variable-speed motors. Furthermore, if you have an economy model gas furnace, air conditioner, or heat pump and want nearly the capabilities, other smart thermostats will get the job done. Additionally, smart thermostats such as Nest, Ecobee, Emerson Sensi, or any Honeywell WiFi smart thermostat will suffice.
ComfortNet™ and Clean Comfort Indoor Air Essentials
As noted above, the Amana ComfortNet works with other Amana products such as:
- Electronic Air Cleaners
- Humidifiers and Dehumidifiers for proper home humidification
- UV Coil and UV air purifiers
- Energy Recovery Unit
- Heat Recovery Unit
These are all side products related to Amana and Goodman HVAC systems. Clean Comfort Indoor Air Essentials is the name of the company owned by Goodman that produces these HVAC indoor air quality products. I always recommend these products if you can afford them or if you have a health condition. These are additional products not necessary for the proper function of your HVAC system. However, they enhance your HVAC system and reduce maintenance in a few of the products. I’ve had customers who had these products in their homes and reported they are fantastic and solved their respiratory problems.
What are ERV’s and HRV’s and how do they help me?
ERV is an Energy Recovery Ventilator. HRV is a Heat Recovery Ventilator. Both have their uses in HVAC applications, but they offer enhanced efficiency and ventilation. ERV’s offer the best energy savings benefit while the HRV specified for colder climates. You can use the ERV in colder climates too. They are specified in code in some regions, especially where the new houses have tight construction.
Amana Gas Furnace Model Comparison Guide
|Amana Gas Furnace Model Comparison Guide|
|AMVM97 (B) / ACVM97 (Premium Model)||ACEC96 (Mid-Range Model)||AMH8 (Economy Model)|
|Premium Models offer Up to 98% AFUE||Up to 96% AFUE||AFUE Rating 80%|
|Amana 10-Year Parts Limited Warranty||10-Year Parts Limited Warranty||10-Year Parts Limited Warranty|
|Efficient and quiet ECM variable-speed blower motor||Multi-speed ECM blower motor||Multi-speed blower motor|
|Modulating||Two-stage operation||High-Fire/Low-Fire operation|
|Amana Stainless-steel secondary heat exchanger with stainless-steel tubular heat exchanger||Stainless-steel secondary heat exchanger with stainless-steel tubular heat exchanger||Stainless-Steel Tubular Primary Heat Exchanger|
|Variable-speed induced draft motor||Two-speed induced draft blower||Single-speed draft inducer|
|Amana Heavy gauge steel cabinet with fully insulated heat exchanger|
and blower section
|Heavy gauge steel cabinet with fully insulated heat exchanger and blower section||Heavy gauge steel cabinet with fully insulated heat exchanger and blower section|
|Amana Lifetime Unit Replacement Limited Warranty**||Lifetime Unit Replacement Limited Warranty**||Lifetime Unit Replacement Limited Warranty**|
|Meets ENERGY STAR Gas Furnace qualifications||Energy Star qualified||N/A|
|Amana Silicon Nitride igniter||Silicon Nitride igniter||Silicon Nitride igniter|
|Modulating gas valve||Two-stage gas valve||Two-stage gas valve|
|Amana Self-diagnostic control board with constant memory fault code||Self-diagnostic control board with constant memory fault code||Self-diagnostic control board with constant memory fault code|
|Integrated communicating ComfortBridge technology available with conventional control and Wifi app for remote control/monitoring||Conventional control||Conventional control|
Amana Gas Furnace Buyers Guide
High Performance HVAC offers advice to help you make the best purchase decision. When you are buying new HVAC equipment, it helps to get some good advice from someone in the industry. Insider tips can help you navigate a course to a smooth purchase. Furthermore, that includes dealing with the contractor who will install your new Amana gas furnace.
Our HVAC consumer buyers guide in the buyer’s advice category offers several tips on how to navigate the purchase of new equipment. We also have links to a database that lists tax rebates and energy credits from government and utility companies. Here are a few tips to help you. Furthermore, to read all the tips, navigate to the HVAC consumer buyers guide page.
- Always get three or more bids from contractors that you have vetted.
- Make sure a load calculation comes with the bids. If a contractor uses a rule of thumb or guesses, you likely do not want that contractor.
- Finally, the biggest factor when purchasing a new gas furnace or any HVAC equipment is NOT a brand. It is the contractor installing the new system. I’ve observed low-efficiency equipment performs better than high-efficiency equipment. Why? Because the contractor who installed the low-efficiency equipment did the first-rate installation over the contractor, who installed the high-efficiency equipment. Furthermore, the best equipment will not function efficiently with bad installation. Therefore, contractors over a brand.
Amana Pricing, Efficiency, and Return On Investment
Gas Furnace Pricing, Efficiency, and Return On Investment (ROI) Factors
|Pricing Versus Efficiency Return On Investment|
|Efficiency||Pricing Range for Initial Purchase and Subsequent Repairs outside of Warranty||ROI (Return On Investment)|
|95% AFUE Plus||$$$$$||5 to 7 years depending on efficiency %*|
|90% to 95% AFUE||$$$||7 to 10 years depending on efficiency %*|
|80% to 90%||$||Over 10 years*|
|*Many factors depend on ROI such as house insulation, personal usage preferences, ductwork integrity, and other essential efficiency factors. The furnace AFUE rating is a high factor in the return.|
Amana Gas Furnace Comparison Chart
Energy Efficiency and Gas Furnace AFUE
Just because you spend extra money to buy a high AFUE gas furnace does not mean you will have true energy efficiency. There are many factors to getting true energy efficiency. Among these factors are:
- Proper installation of the gas furnace
- Ductwork Integrity
- Home Insulation including energy-efficient doors and windows
- Home humidity levels
For more information see our article on Gas Furnace Efficiency Factors
About Amana | Gas Furnace Reviews and Consumer Ratings
Amana was founded in 1934 in Amana, Iowa, by George Foerstner, making beverage coolers.
Furthermore, they started making walk-in coolers for grocery stores and restaurants. They continued making these units until after WW II when they came out with the innovative Radarange. The Radarange was the first portable countertop microwave oven. Maytag acquired Amana after the war. Lastly, Goodman Manufacturing, out of Houston, Texas, now has the license to produce Amana HVAC products.
Amana Gas Furnace Reviews | Consumer Ratings