Table of Contents
York Gas Furnace Reviews | Consumer Ratings. York offers several gas furnaces from 80 AFUE to 98 AFUE. Their residential capacities offer between 40 BTUh and 130,000 BTUh (give or take for various models), making them ideal for most residential applications. On the higher-tier York offers the Affinity™ line of gas furnaces for those seeking high efficiency and bells and whistles.
York’s mid-grade models are called the LX series and offer low to mid-range efficiency with fewer options. And the economic model for York gas furnaces is called the Latitude™ Series, which also provides mid-range to low-range efficiency levels for those on a budget for initial installation cost.
York Gas Furnace Reviews | Consumer Ratings
I have been getting emails asking me to review York gas furnaces. Other emails ask me why I don’t have any York gas furnace reviews on the site. The fact is I had a dispute with York and the way they initially rated their gas furnaces. There were several comments and emails from people who were furious with me because of that little dispute. It is suspected those were York dealers losing sales because of the bad review.
I took York products off my site for a while and am slowly re-introducing their products as requests come in. York does comply with the new tests, and while I do not agree with the analysis 100%, I will go with it.
York does not do the testing for rating efficiency. An independent testing agency does this. They use testing standards written by the NSI (National Standards Institute), and they write those tests based on ASHRAE (American Society of Heating, Refrigeration, and Air Conditioning Engineers) standards. When manufacturers changed the design of furnaces to improve efficiency, they continued to use the old testing for single-stage gas furnaces to get an efficiency rating.
There are new tests for current furnaces and furnace designs, and they are far more accurate than the previous tests used for efficiency. I’ve said it before, and I will repeat it, York makes quality products. I never denied that. I’ve worked on enough systems, including York, to see what everyone has and how they put their systems together. York stands up to the best of them as far as quality is concerned. That is a new review, and I will not transfer the old review to this page. Now back to the review.
Features | York Gas Furnace Reviews | Consumer Quality Ratings
Various features of selected York gas furnaces include:
York Gas Furnace Top AFUE Rating
- Multi-position for easier installation (upflow, horizontal left or right, or downflow for select gas furnaces)
- Variable-Speed ECM Blower Motor offers soft-start and variable speeds in select York gas furnaces. This feature helps with air conditioning systems when matched with the proper system.
- Modulating burner in select units
- Can be used with dual-fuel heat pump systems. You should match the condenser with the new furnace if selecting this option.
- Self-diagnostics with fault code display for easier gas furnace troubleshooting
- Modulating gas valve and inducer for enhanced efficiency
- Tubular aluminized steel primary heat exchanger with stainless steel tube/aluminum fin secondary heat exchanger in select units. This feature adds efficiency to the gas furnace by having a secondary heat exchanger.
- Select gas furnaces are Energy Star rated
- 20-year limited warranty on the heat exchanger and a 5-year standard parts warranty
Energy Efficiency and Gas Furnace AFUE
Just because you spend extra money to buy a high AFUE gas furnace does not mean you will have true energy efficiency. There are many factors to getting true energy efficiency. Among these factors are:
- Proper installation of the gas furnace
- Ductwork Integrity
- Home Insulation including energy-efficient doors and windows
- Home humidity levels
For more information see our article on Gas Furnace Efficiency Factors
York Gas Furnace Reviews | Warranty Advice for Buyer’s
I always recommend purchasing an extended warranty, especially if you are buying the premium top-tier modulating models. Some extended warranties, if available, are parts and labor warranties, which is a win-win for the consumer. Don’t forget to register the warranty within the deadline period after installation. Otherwise, the manufacturer may not honor any warranty. Additionally, understand most HVAC warranties only cover parts and not labor.
Some critical areas for gas furnace warranties are heat exchangers. Condensing gas furnaces need to be sturdy and durable. A condensing gas furnace condenses moisture out of the flue gases. This moisture is corrosive and can cause severe issues with metals. Most manufacturers use stainless steel for their secondary heat exchangers in condensing furnaces. Stainless steel holds up against the caustic effects of corrosive moisture. The point is, make sure you have a good warranty for the heat exchanger in case of premature failure.
York Gas Furnace Model Comparison Guide
|York Gas Furnace Model Comparison Guide
|York Gas Furnace Model/Series
|Gas Furnace Staging/Type
|Energy Star Furnace Rated
|Pricing Model Group
|YP9C Affinity™ Series
|YPLC Affinity™ Series
|YP9C LX Series
|Up to 96% AFUE
|TM9T LX Series
|Up to 96% AFUE
|TM9Y LX Series
|Up to 96%
|TM9E LX Series
|Up to 95% AFUE
|TL9E LX Series
|Up to 95% AFUE
|TL8E LX Series
|80% AFUE Low NOx
|TM8V LX Series
|TM8Y LX Series
|TM8T LX Series
|TM8X LX Series
|TG9S Latitude™ Series
|Up to 95.5% AFUE
|TG8S Latitude™ Series
York Gas Furnace Buyers Guide
When it’s time to buy a new furnace, heat pump, or air conditioner, you want to do your homework. It will pay dividends by saving you time, frustration, and lots of money. A bad HVAC installation can end up being frustrating and cost you energy efficiency.
So how do you get the information to help you through this process? Inside industry information that will give you the edge in any deal? Don’t be surprised, you have found it. High Performance HVAC wants to help you have a rewarding experience in the process of purchasing new HVAC equipment. Here are a few excerpts from our HVAC Consumer Buyers Guide:
- Always get a new load calculation for a new HVAC system. Never guess.
- Get at least 3 different bids from 3 different contractors that you have vetted. We help you with the HVAC Contractor vetting process also.
- A quality contractor will beat any brand all day long.
Find out more and learn about the process on our HVAC Consumer Buyers Guide page.
York Additional Optional Features
York Gas Furnace Reviews | Optional Quality Features
Some additional features that may be of interest to you when purchasing a new York gas furnace are thermostats and indoor air quality products. These include:
- York’s line of smart thermostats, which include the HX™ and the Affinity™ brands. These smart thermostats work well with certain York systems. The features of the thermostats include WiFi capabilities, scheduling, advanced diagnostics, and humidity control. These smart thermostats are only available for specific models so check with the dealer for specifics.
- The indoor air quality line of products include energy recovery ventilators, whole-house humidifiers, whole-house dehumidifier, electronic air cleaners, high MERV filtering media, and an Ultra-Violet air cleaner.
Energy and heat recovery ventilators are required by code in certain states, depending on the code. If you are interested in energy efficiency and want to conserve energy, we recommend these products. Modification of your system may be required. Another energy saver in the winter is whole-house humidifiers.
For comfort, in the winter, you will feel warmer with higher humidity levels. That means, by maintaining a higher humidity level you will use the furnace less. That saves energy and money. Clean air is also important to many people. Electronic air cleaners and Ultraviolet air cleaners do a good job of cleaning your air down to the micron level.
Consumer Ratings - Specifics | York Gas Furnace Reviews
In that regard, York does have an excellent dealer network. Many of the dealers have outstanding training programs for their technicians. That is important to you because you want qualified technicians to install your system. When you hire the contractor, you want that contractor to have skilled technicians knowledgeable with HVAC and the equipment they are installing. York does help their contractors by providing training for their contractors and technicians.
Gas Furnace Pricing, Efficiency, and Return On Investment (ROI) Factors
|Pricing Versus Efficiency Return On Investment
|Pricing Range for Initial Purchase and Subsequent Repairs outside of Warranty
|ROI (Return On Investment)
|95% AFUE Plus
|5 to 7 years depending on efficiency %*
|90% to 95% AFUE
|7 to 10 years depending on efficiency %*
|80% to 90%
|Over 10 years*
|*Many factors depend on ROI such as house insulation, personal usage preferences, ductwork integrity, and other essential efficiency factors. The furnace AFUE rating is a high factor in the return.
York Gas Furnace Comparison Chart
What is your opinion? Leave it in the comments below.