Rheem RGTK Series 90 Plus Gas Furnace Reviews - Rheem has several gas furnaces in their line-up so we simply picked the RGTK gas furnace at random to review. We will get to others in the near future for review. The Rheem RGTK gas furnace is rated for 90% AFUE which puts it in the mid-range for efficiency levels in comparable gas furnaces. The RGTK has two firing rates. At low-fire it is 70% and at high-fire it is 100%. When used in conjunction with a two-stage thermostat the low-fire will offer you heat on mild days saving the high-fire for the coldest days.
Rheem RGTK Series 90 Plus Gas Furnace Reviews | Features
Features listed for the RGTK gas furnace:
- Two-stages of operation as mentioned above
- Compatible with a two stage or a single stage thermostat - if you want the efficiency of a two-stage gas furnace you need a two stage thermostat for this furnace.
- The RGTK gas furnace heat exchanger is tubular and is made of stainless steel. This prevents corrosion and thermal fatigue. Rheem does stand behind both the primary and the secondary heat exchangers in their RGTK gas furnaces with a limited lifetime warranty.
- Rheem Warranties as Compared to Other Brands 85%
- Rheem Quality as Compared to Other Brands 92%
- Consumer Opinion based on Field Experience 80%
- Efficiency Compared to Other Brands 90%
- Overall Rheem Opinion from a Technical Perspective 88%
Rheem RGTK Series 90 Plus AFUE Rating
- The RGTK gas furnace stands only 34″ tall which makes it fit in tight places and allows more room for optional accessories.
- The electrical connections are on the top with left or right side gas piping design gives the installers more options for piping the gas furnace. Additionally, the condensation drains are available on downflow and horizontal flow models. (These features are typical throught the HVAC industry).
- The control board has onboard diagnostics for gas furnace troubleshooting (typical industry standard), controls all operational functions (I hope so) and provides hook-ups for a humidifier and electronic air cleaner. I would ask the representative if this feature is only applicable to Rheem humidifiers and electronic air cleaners or can you use other brands.
- The blower compartment is insulated and the gas valve is slow opening offering a quieter gas furnace. The slow opening gas valve does prevent the loud whooshing sound some gas valves make when the furnace ignites the burners.
- Permanent filters with a Pre-painted galvanized steel cabinet. (not sure of this is a powder coated furnace cabinet). Powder coat paint is more durable offering better rust and corrosion resistance.
- Fuse protection on the control circuit - this is typical in the HVAC Industry.
- They list a condensation drain trap as a feature. Value of the standard condensation trap is approximately $1.00
Rheem RGTK Series 90 Plus Gas Furnace Reviews | Conclusion
The RGTK gas furnace is a buy if the price is right. As with any brand of HVAC or Electrical equipment it is very important to choose the HVAC contractor carefully.
See our other Rheem Reviews:
Rheem Air Conditioner Reviews – Consumer Ratings
Rheem Gas Furnace Reviews - Consumer Ratings
Rheem Package Unit Reviews - Package Units
For more information on Rheem and their latest models and efficiency ratings please see the Rheem website.
Rheem RGTK Series 90 Plus Gas Furnace Reviews
Air Conditioner Breaker Trips | Air Conditioner Condensation Water Dripping – Condensate Leaks | Air Conditioning Blower Motor Repair | HVAC Refrigerant Leaks | Fixing a Refrigerant Leak Air Conditioner Compressor Troubleshooting | Variable Speed ECM Condenser Fan Motors | Carrier Gas Furnace Reviews | Burnham Boiler Reviews | Lennox Heat Pump Reviews | Building Automation Systems | Daikin Air Conditioner Reviews | Carrier Gas Furnace Reviews | HVAC Triple Evacuation | Variable Speed ECM Condenser Fan Motors | Run Start Capacitors HVAC Motors | Ohms Law and HVAC | Heat Pump Troubleshooting | Fuel-Gas Code Overview | How To Fix Sweating Copper Pipes | Humidifiers and Comfort | Boiler Circulation Problems