Trane XC Communicating Gas Furnace Reviews - Consumer Ratings - Tranes top dog gas furnace is not the highest rated gas furnaces as far as efficiency is concerned (The XV two-stage is rated at 96+ AFUE) coming rated at 95% AFUE but it does have one additional feature that other gas furnace offerings from Trane do not have.
Trane XC Communicating Gas Furnace Reviews - Consumer Ratings | Communications Features
It has the ability to communicate with the ComfortLink II communications system and the telephone access module. This ability is nearly the same types of communications systems that commercial building automation systems use to communicate except building automation systems have advanced and use IP protocols for communication which is much faster. Now, what does this mean to you when considering this an option to purchase the XC gas furnace?
It will alert your mobile telephone of any problems and allows you to remotely make adjustments to the temperature set point of the gas furnace if you are in a pinch and forget to reset the thermostat (unless you have a programmable thermostat that does this automatically according to schedule).
- Trane Warranties as Compared to Other Brands 93%
- Trane Quality as Compared to Other Brands 95%
- Consumer Opinion based on Field Experience 77%
- Trane Efficiency Compared to Other Brands 93%
- Overall Trane Opinion from a Technical Perspective 89%
Trane Gas Furnace Top AFUE Rating
The difference is if your thermostat is on a schedule to turn the equipment on at 5 p.m. before you come home and you are running early you can dial into your gas furnace and tell it you are coming home sooner and you want the temperature to be comfortable when you arrive at home.
Depending on the cost and your schedule this feature could possibly be worth it. The future is HVAC systems you can go to with your computer at the office and monitor temperatures and other things at home. These systems are available now but they are cost prohibitive for residential use.
Trane XC Communicating Gas Furnace Reviews - Consumer Ratings | Basic Features
Specific features listed for the XC Gas Furnace are:
- ComfortLink II Communications capability - see above for comments on this feature
- Communicating user interface - see above
- Variable speed blower motor - this is for quiet operation and to ramp the speed of the blower to a programmed speed for heating and dehumidification.This is good and these motors, referred to as ECM motors are more energy efficient than standard blower motors.
- Three-stage gas heat for better fuel efficiency - 3 stages is good for a gas furnace if it is controlled properly. They have the controls for this furnace down pat so there really is no worry there. The only question is why is it not rated higher efficiency-wise than the XV that only has two-stages of gas heat? Not as good as fully modulating but better than single or two-stage gas furnaces.
- Powder coated cabinet made of heavy gauge metal - this is industry standard.
- Comfort-R (™) is only good if the system is coupled with an air conditioner and it helps dehumidify the house which makes you feel more comfortable.
- Silicon Nitride Hot Surface Igniter - this is good for a gas furnace. It allows automatic ignition (no pilot light to worry about) and the Silicon Nitride is tough and difficult to crack or break.
- In shot burners - this is industry standard for gas furnaces
- Diagnostic abilities for better gas furnace troubleshooting
- Aluminized Steel one piece heat exchanger - one piece means it is not assembled and less likely to leak.
- Fuse protection on the low voltage side of the electrical circuit - industry standard
- Insulated cabinet - this is for quiet operation and for heat loss and heat gain depending on what mode it is running in and where it is installed.
- Horizontal flow, down flow, up flow with the horizontal flow easily converted for left or right configuration - this makes it easier for installation and for Trane to offer a one size fits all gas furnace so they don’t have to stock so many different varieties of that model.
- Stainless steel secondary heat exchanger - stainless steel is good and offers durability against corrosion. Corrosion resistance is important for high-efficiency gas furnaces especially the heat exchangers.
- Washable filter along with compatibility to have an ERV (Energy Recovery Ventilator), humidifier, or an air cleaner adapted to or fit the gas furnace. Of course, this is only applicable to their products.
Trane XC Communicating Gas Furnace Reviews - Consumer Ratings | Conclusion
Overall this is a good furnace however unless I really had an erratic schedule and needed to remotely change the settings on my gas furnace so the house would be comfortable when I returned home I would go for the XV gas furnace over this one. Of course, cost is always a factor and I am factoring in the efficiency because of my monthly gas bill. The more efficient the better. One final note, this furnace can also be used in conjunction with a Trane heat pump system in the dual fuel capacity for back heat pump heating.Warranty - Limited lifetime warranty on the heat exchanger and a five-year limited warranty on internal functional parts. Extended warranties are available for an additional cost from the dealer.
Trane XC Communicating Gas Furnace Reviews - Consumer Ratings
Air Conditioner Breaker Trips | Air Conditioner Condensation Water Dripping – Condensate Leaks | Air Conditioning Blower Motor Repair | HVAC Refrigerant Leaks | Fixing a Refrigerant Leak Air Conditioner Compressor Troubleshooting | Variable Speed ECM Condenser Fan Motors | Carrier Gas Furnace Reviews | Burnham Boiler Reviews | Lennox Heat Pump Reviews | Building Automation Systems | Daikin Air Conditioner Reviews | Carrier Gas Furnace Reviews | HVAC Triple Evacuation | Variable Speed ECM Condenser Fan Motors | Run Start Capacitors HVAC Motors | Ohms Law and HVAC | Heat Pump Troubleshooting | Fuel-Gas Code Overview | How To Fix Sweating Copper Pipes | Humidifiers and Comfort | Boiler Circulation Problems