Emerson Sensi Thermostat Reviews – the Emerson Sensi thermostat is one of the latest new thermostats that offer WiFi and remote access using a mobile app. These are the thermostats of the future allowing you to see what’s going on with your home temperatures and HVAC settings from anywhere in the world where you have access to a mobile internet connection.
So you and your family finally take that European vacation you have wanted and you completely forgot the thermostat and HVAC settings. No problem, just dial in with your app and change the settings. All from your hotel room in London or Prague. Here, aside from the WiFi features, we’ll look into everything this thermostat has to offer from pros to cons. We’ll do it in simple terms so hopefully, all your questions will be answered by the end of this review. Including the questions, you didn’t think of yet. Yes, we hope to be that good for our readers!
Emerson Sensi Thermostat Reviews
So the first thing I did was go to Emerson s website and find their flagship thermostat. Their latest and greatest thermostat which from my point of view is the Sensi. Being an HVAC guy I wanted to see the specs and the installation manual along with all the other fluff like photos and marketing materials. No, they didn’t send me the thermostat for free. The only thing I have to go buy is what I found on Emerson’s website and then compare it to other thermostats I have experience with and use my technical knowledge to write a decent review. I’ve done the free thermostat from a manufacturer before and it didn’t turn out well…………see our review on the Venstar Colortouch thermostat. I found a flaw. Then I gave it to my friend and he thought the same thing without saying anything to him about the flaw I found. I wrote an honest review including the flaw and Venstar responded in a very negative way.
Manual Setup Features | Emerson Sensi Thermostat Reviews
Okay, back to the Emerson Sensi, I digress. I got all the documents in PDF form and downloaded them and studied them and here is what I came up with for the Emerson Sensi thermostat. Here are the manual operating features for you if you buy this thermostat:
- There are features you can only access through the app such as scheduling and email alerts for improper operation of the HVAC equipment. So if you want to set a schedule and you want email alerts for emergency conditions (like the temperature dropping and possibly bursting your pipes) then you need WiFi. Another feature only available through the app is locking out the thermostat so no one can change the temperature except for those with access to the app.
- You can make settings with WiFi turned off but as Emerson describes the settings through WiFi are more robust.
- Is capable of a single-stage or two-stage heat pump, an air conditioner with a gas or electric furnace two-stage cooling or heating. This is done in the manual setup or the app setup through WiFi.
- The Sensi does have buttons for basic operation so you are not completely dependent on an app for access and changing settings.
They also include basic wiring instructions for how to wire the thermostat and a thermostat wiring color code chart. I say this because some manufacturers do not provide clear concise information to assist you in wiring your new thermostat if you want to wire it yourself. Of course, you could also use High Performance HVAC for this information. We have both air conditioner thermostat wiring diagrams and heat pump thermostat wiring diagrams. We have many articles, illustrations, and charts in our thermostat category to help you with a new thermostat installation and wiring details.
Advanced Features | Emerson Sensi Thermostat Reviews
Here are some advanced features for the Emerson Sensi thermostat:
- Of course, this has already been mentioned but deserves to mentioned again: Remote access whether you are in bed or in London you can change the settings.
- Keypad lockout to those pesky relatives from changing the temperature when you don’t want them too.
- Dual fuel applications for heat pumps with gas or oil heat for backup heat. You won’t need a remote sensor to make this work. It gets outdoor temperature through the WiFi. If you have an S1 and S2 wire on your old thermostat you won’t need them on the Sensi thermostat.
- Local weather through WiFi.
- A humidity sensor to see what the indoor humidity is indoors. For maximum comfort, you want lower humidity in the summer and higher humidity in the winter.
- Automatic changeover from heating to cooling.
Keeping it Simple | Emerson Sensi Thermostat Reviews
While I have read many other thermostat instruction manuals and documents Emerson is a bit light on technical details as far as control algorithms are concerned. I am in the blind on these details as they don’t have any information in any of the documents I found which describes these details. Things such as dead bands and temperature differentials and how it minimizes temperature swing and such. This is especially important with staging. Maybe I’m just a control freak and want to know these and I do understand the average homeowner doesn’t care about these things at all. And if they read about it likely wouldn’t understand it. In that regard, Emerson is keeping it simple and not befuddling you with too much techno-garble.
Conclusion | Emerson Sensi Thermostat Reviews
I give the Emerson Sensi WiFi thermostat a thumbs up. If you are trying to make a decision on purchasing a new thermostat then put this one at the top of your list. I recommend professional installation and in the event you decide to install it yourself make sure you read the instructions and see our pages here:
I really think its an amazing thing to have remote access to your home thermostat. You can also have access to your business if you own a business and have a thermostat that offers remote access such as the Emerson Sensi thermostat. How many times have you left home or the office and completely forgot to change the settings on the thermostat? Now, with remote access thermostat, that is no longer a problem. Finally, the Emerson Sensi offers that option along with many other great options you can find a thermostat.
Emerson Sensi Thermostat Reviews
Air Conditioner Breaker Trips | Air Conditioner Condensation Water Dripping – Condensate Leaks | Air Conditioning Blower Motor Repair | American Standard Gas Furnace Reviews | Fixing a Refrigerant Leak | Air Conditioner Compressor Troubleshooting | Variable Speed ECM Condenser Fan Motors | Carrier Gas Furnace Reviews | Burnham Boiler Reviews | Lennox Heat Pump Reviews | Troubleshooting Broken Thermostats | York Gas Furnace Reviews | Goodman Air Conditioner Reviews | Building Automation Systems | Daikin Air Conditioner Reviews | Carrier Air Conditioner Reviews | HVAC Triple Evacuation | Variable Speed ECM Condenser Fan Motors | Run Start Capacitors HVAC Motors | Ohms Law and HVAC
Share your HVAC Photos or ask a question about your HVAC System by uploading a photo of it.