Maytag M1200 Series Heat Pump Reviews - Consumer Ratings - Maytag is a name recognized for quality washing machines and dryers and the Maytag man offers a full line of air conditioning and heating equipment to compliment their washing machines and dryers (and the Maytag man). Their top-of-the-line heat pump is their 15+ SEER heat pump (currently up to 16 SEER and 9 HSPF efficiency rating for the M1200 series) which they call the M1200 Extra High-Efficiency Heat Pump.
Maytag M1200 Series Heat Pump Reviews - Consumer Ratings | Select Features
There are also Maytag M1200 package units available for heat pumps, however, this review is for the split system heat pump. Remember, if you want to get the rated efficiency listed on the unit you need to get a matching indoor unit along with the heat pump condenser.
List of Features
The lists the features of their heat pumps as:
- The heat pump is listed as being designed for dependability and beauty. I love beautiful heat pumps and they do have a nice-looking heat pump with their brushed stainless steel cabinet. It looks nice and it is resistant to rust and corrosion. The design of the cabinet protects the coils from hazards such as lawnmowers bumping into it and kids playing near the unit.
- Maytag Warranties as Compared to Other Brands 96% 96%
- Maytag Quality as Compared to Other Brands 89% 89%
- Consumer Opinion based on Field Experience 86% 86%
- Maytag Efficiency Compared to Other Brands 99% 99%
- Overall Maytag Opinion from a Technical Perspective 91% 91%
Maytag M1200 Top HSPF Rating
Maytag M1200 Top SEER Rating
Air Source Heat Pump Tips | Dual Fuel Heating
A dual fuel heat pump is a heat pump with a gas furnace for backup heating rather than electric heat strips.
Air source heat pumps have a backup heating source. In most installations, the backup heating source is electric heat strips. Electric heat strips are very cheap to install in most cases. However, while electricity is generally regarded as 100% efficient, producing it is more costly than other heating methods. For a more efficient heat pump, consider a dual fuel heat pump, or a heat pump with a gas furnace for the backup heat source. It will be more costly to install, but your monthly bills will be reduced.
Additional Features | Maytag M1200 Series Heat Pump Reviews
- Heat Pumps use R410A refrigerant. This is good because R-22 is being phased out of production much faster than everyone thought and the price of R-22 is rising.
- The heat pump is trimmed with a protective coating on the top and bottom. This complements the rust and corrosion resistance effect of the stainless steel cabinet.
- They list the condenser fan motor as being permanently lubricated and requires no maintenance. This is a common feature among many manufacturers including Maytag listing the motor is protected from rain and snow.
- Maytag lists their 15+ SEER rating as one of the highest ratings for available heat pumps on the market. While manufacturers generally rate their heat pumps by a SEER rating the air conditioning is rated by the SEER and the heating side of the heat pump is rated by HSPF or Heating Seasonal Performance Factor.
- They list the top as being designed for maximum airflow and quiet operation. This is good because no one likes a noisy heat pump or air conditioner.
- The heat pump has a diagnostic module which hopefully you will not need to use (or your HVAC technician will not need to use). They claim it can help the local heating and cooling dealer to offer you quick and efficient maintenance. Maytag doesn’t say how they offer this quick and efficient maintenance so you may want to ask the dealer when the salesman comes to demonstrate the heat pump.
Maytag M1200 Series Heat Pump Reviews - Consumer Ratings | Warranty
One of the best features of the heat pump is the warranty. The warranty is a 12-year parts warranty that exceeds many other manufacturers with other limited warranties. The average warranty from other manufacturers on heat pumps is 5 years parts and 10 years on the compressor so they stand behind their products with a good warranty.
For more information on the warranty please check the Maytag HVAC website.
Video | Maytag M1200 Series Heat Pump Reviews
This video is a Maytag heat pump (not the M1200 model listed in this article). It demonstrates the importance of finding a good competent HVAC contractor for the job. Remember, the lowest bidder is not always the best to hire. Please see our Buyers Advice Category help you in the buying process.
Maytag M1200 Series Heat Pump Reviews - Consumer Ratings