Maytag Condensing Units Reviews | Consumer Ratings - Maytag condensing units offer one of the highest efficiency ranges for air to air condensers throughout the HVAC industry with its 25.5 SEER system. Using inverter technology that has been available in commercial applications and mini-splits has made variable speed available in condensing units. They call it the IQ Drive system and basically it modulates the compressor based on demand. So if the demand is 25% then the system responds by running at 25% versus other systems that only run at 100% capacity 100% of the time no matter the demand or two-stage systems that run at either 50% capacity or 100% capacity. Compared to the cost of installing a similarly rated geothermal system the condensing unit with 25.5 SEER makes this a good deal for anyone. (more…)
Maytag Air Handlers Reviews - Maytag air handlers serve residential and light commercial applications and come configured with either up-flow, down-flow, horizontal flow and as Maytag describes it a vertical flow air handler. I do not know what the difference is between up-flow and down-flow versus the vertical flow air handler so if anyone knows please make a comment in the comments section below. (more…)
Maytag Package Unit Reviews - Maytag package units can be purchased in a variety configurations including heat pump with gas back up heat also known as a hybrid, air conditioner package units with gas furnaces also known as a gas pack, air conditioner package units with optional electric heat, and heat pump package units. Maytag primarily produces package units for residential and light commercial applications. (more…)
Maytag Gas Furnace Reviews - Maytag HVAC equipment including gas furnaces that are actually produced by Nordyne. The relationship between Maytag and Nordyne is not clear - does Nordyne lease the name Maytag for the products they produce or does Maytag own Nordyne. Perhaps we will find the answer for you soon to keep you updated.
I was surprised when researching gas furnaces that list their highest efficient gas furnace at 97% AFUE. This is a good AFUE rating for a gas furnace by any HVAC manufacturer. There is also no listing on the site that they are a member of AHRI which certifies manufacturer efficiency claims. Maytag’s top-tier gas furnace is a modulating gas furnace. (more…)
Maytag Heat Pump Reviews - Consumer Ratings - Maytag offers heat pumps with efficiency ranges from 13 SEER 7.7 HSPF to 22 SEER 10 HSPF and selected Maytag heat pumps use R-410A refrigerant. Maytag offers one of the best warranties in the industry for heat pump units and other HVAC equipment. (more…)
Maytag M1200 Series Heat Pump Reviews - Consumer Ratings - Maytag which is a name recognized for quality washing machines and dryers and the Maytag man offers a full-line of air conditioning and heating equipment to compliment their washing machines and dryers (and the Maytag man). Their top of the line heat pump is their 15+ SEER heat pump (currently up to 16 SEER and 9 HSPF efficiency rating for the M1200 series) which they call the M1200 Extra High-Efficiency Heat Pump. (more…)
Maytag Air Conditioner Reviews | Consumer Ratings - Maytag list their top of the line air conditioner as 25.5 SEER with AHRI now certifying the results of their claim. It is believable watching their marketing video for their IQ drive system which uses inverter technology. However, much about HVAC forced air systems require top of the line installers installing the equipment exactly as designed. After dissecting everything and reading all the information I could find on inverter technology it really is a variable frequency drive which is used in commercial air conditioning and heating systems. Inverter technology changes the frequency of the electricity going to the electric motor. In this case, the electric motor is an electric motor in the compressor which is a rotary compressor. (more…)
Two-Stage Gas Furnaces - Tips for Buyers . Two-stage gas furnaces make up over 30% of all gas furnaces installed in residences in the USA. Two-Stage gas furnaces are more efficient than single-stage gas furnaces in most cases. When purchasing furnaces always check the ARI website for and efficiency ratings and comparisons. (more…)
Heat Pump Troubleshooting Advice: Before calling a heating and air-conditioning company, check the following:
- Check selections on the thermostat. Ensure that it is set to the desired settings.
- Check power supply. This can include a circuit breaker and or/a regular looking wall switch close to the unit
- Check for freezing up of air-conditioner or heat pump units. If the air conditioner or heat pump unit is frozen turn it off. Check the air filter(s) to make sure they are not clogged or obstructed in any way. If you find no problems leave the unit turned off and call a service company.
- Is the air handler blower working good and blowing air out of all of the supply vents? If not or it is weak then you likely have an airflow issue. Always make sure you have a clean filter and that all of your supply vents are open and unobstructed. If this is all good then you have another problem with the airflow. Maybe a bad blower motor or the unit is freezing up inside the evaporator coil. In any of these cases, it is time to call an HVAC repair service.
- Is the condenser fan motor turning at the heat pump condenser? Word of note. When the heat pump is in heating mode the fan will not turn while the compressor is running. This is normal and a part of the automatic defrost mode for the heat pump. If it is in cooling mode and the fan is not turning you have a problem. In cooling mode, the fan needs to run when the compressor running. If not then something is wrong (unless as noted above with defrost mode). You need to call a professional.
- Additional things to look for with heat pumps. Issues regarding heat pumps include a condenser with excessive ice on the coils in the winter. This means the defrost mode isn’t working properly and may need a minor adjustment or a repair altogether. It is best to call a pro to fix that issue. In the summer. if any ice is observed on the heat pump anywhere. You definitely have a problem with your heat pump. This includes the evaporator coil or any of the copper pipes. Finally, if any ice is observed you have a problem that needs the attention of a professional. However, before calling a professional, use this basic checklist.
- What thermostat wire color is likely to go to which terminal on the thermostat.
- Basic electrical safety and standards for wiring color
- The function of each wire terminal on the average thermostat. Additionally highlighting some of the differences in those functions from manufacturer to manufacturer.
Sometimes the thermostat is not the problem. Therefore please check this article for a checklist of things to check before calling a heating and cooling repair service.