Heat Pump Troubleshooting Advice: Before calling a heating and air-conditioning company, check the following:
- Check selections on the thermostat. Ensure that it is set to the desired settings.
- Check power supply. This can include a circuit breaker and or/a regular looking wall switch close to the unit
- Check for freezing up of air-conditioner or heat pump units. If the air conditioner or heat pump unit is frozen turn it off. Check the air filter(s) to make sure they are not clogged or obstructed in any way. If you find no problems leave the unit turned off and call a service company.
- Is the air handler blower working good and blowing air out of all of the supply vents? If not or it is weak then you likely have an airflow issue. Always make sure you have a clean filter and that all of your supply vents are open and unobstructed. If this is all good then you have another problem with the airflow. Maybe a bad blower motor or the unit is freezing up inside the evaporator coil. In any of these cases, it is time to call an HVAC repair service.
- Is the condenser fan motor turning at the heat pump condenser? Word of note. When the heat pump is in heating mode the fan will not turn while the compressor is running. This is normal and a part of the automatic defrost mode for the heat pump. If it is in cooling mode and the fan is not turning you have a problem. In cooling mode, the fan needs to run when the compressor running. If not then something is wrong (unless as noted above with defrost mode). You need to call a professional.
- Additional things to look for with heat pumps. Issues regarding heat pumps include a condenser with excessive ice on the coils in the winter. This means the defrost mode isn’t working properly and may need a minor adjustment or a repair altogether. It is best to call a pro to fix that issue. In the summer. if any ice is observed on the heat pump anywhere. You definitely have a problem with your heat pump. This includes the evaporator coil or any of the copper pipes. Finally, if any ice is observed you have a problem that needs the attention of a professional. However, before calling a professional, use this basic checklist.